Squish: What happens if my squish is larger than the 0.75 - 0.95 optimal range?

meh... tried it. It smashes flat then is hard to peel off. Gets distorted peeling it off.
This is what mine looked like
20200607_162248.jpg 20200607_162242.jpg
It didn't stick on much for me. Maybe our erasers are different.

You only need to see the squish which is at the edge, so you could put a dab of oil on the edges and put a piece of something under the middle of eraser to help pick it up without having to pinch it. And tape it down to keep from moving when testing.

This is what mine looked like
View attachment 104524 View attachment 104525
It didn't stick on much for me. Maybe our erasers are different.

You only need to see the squish which is at the edge, so you could put a dab of oil on the edges and put a piece of something under the middle of eraser to help pick it up without having to pinch it. And tape it down to keep from moving when testing.
I'm surprised at how much material I've taken off and I STILL have a measurement of over 1.6 mm. I've sanded all but about 0.4 mm from the under side of the head. I don't want to sand it flat then have to sand the entire cast surface. I'm left with having to sand the top of the jug, make an extra thin gasket or go without a gasket. The factory squish must have been near or at 4 mm. It makes me wonder how necessary this is all is. Had I just bolted this together like most people, would I even be able to tell the difference? Is all this just busy-work so people can feel like they've really done something? If not, why would my Wildcat (a decent brand) be sold with a squish band of 4 mm or so? Am I just going to create a high heat problem for myself? As there seems to be very little definitive information on the subject I have to say I'm leaning towards this being something that, in reality, creates no real measurable differences. Perhaps it's just something that people do because they can do it and feel better about the whole thing. (?)

A smaller squish band is supposed to make higher compression which means slightly more power and fuel economy. Too little of a squish band is way worse than too much because of preignition damaging the piston and crank bearings.

I agree though, I don't think there's any big difference in power but I definitely think some is made.

Actually you did good by sanding the head. I forgot the reason why I had to only sand the jug, because I bought a high compression head. By sanding the head, you'll get more compression from not only the squish band, but smaller combustion chamber.

Back