St. Louis Ride and Swap Meet

Props to all who attended! I think this event had a better turnout than expected, and we'll have to do it again in the not-so-distant future. Those of us who made it down got to see a wide spectrum of motored bikes (and a wide spectrum of riders), and I have to say, this meetup has helped rekindle my enthusiasm for making bikes go faster than they should. Keep an eye out for another meet and ride event... the next one may involve BBQ and a beer cooler if I've got anything to say about it. Thanks to Prof. Fate for organizing the first of many to come!

Yes, thanks to Prof. Fate. I think it was a good turnout. However, I was short on time and could not stay long enough to really get more involved. Next time, I'll clear my afternoon for the event. Thanks again for organizing and following through. I was supposed to bring pictures of my vintage Bike Bug to sell, but I sold it the weekend prior to the event. That lot was a great place to show our bikes off, but we need a shady spot next time.
-Mike

I'm in the process of building my bike and live a couple hours from St. Louis, so I'll be in for the next one....... If my bike is finished.

Event Recap

Pictures! D-oh. That would have been a good idea.
BBQ? Good idea.
Beverages? Brilliant!
Setting up in a shady corner with lawn chairs? A next time must. Acres of sun baked asphalt tends to get a bit warm.

Thanks to all that made it. We had a great turn out for a first ever event. Ten bikes and fourteen folks plus a couple peddle folks that stopped by after seeing it on craigslist that I think may be converts.

I missed a few folks because I showed up about an hour late due to mechanical problems (what?) from my Saturday afternoon ride. I was faced with a tough discussion, show up on time bikeless or late with a working bike. I went for late. My rear tire, probably original to my craigslist 10 year old bike, developed a bulge on the sidewall while out on a ride. The bulge grew to comic book size and started hitting the drive chain which put side stress on my homemade spring loaded chain tensioner till it exploded. So I spent Sunday morning replacing the tires and trying to see if I could build a tensioner with what I had lying around. The rushed fix looked alright but didn’t really work. My bike didn’t log a half a mile on the parking lot. So, I was late and bikeless. Ha.:whistle: I went Monday and bought a half-link for my 41 Granger chain and have joined the tensioner free club.

Everybody had a good time and we will be doing it again soon. The best comment came from Jeff, a long time Harley rider, who said that this was better than a Harley Rally because at those nobody talks to each other and everybody stands around trying to look like a bad ***.

*For anybody out there thinking “I wish someone would do that in my city.” I saw a fantastic bit of advice from "spunout" concerning that very problem. YOU DO IT! I took that advice and it works! Spend an hour searching your city and state on this and other forums, another sending out emails, a post on Craigslist and TADA! You have an event.

Last edited:
Hey Prof,

Article in todays St Louis Paper, might want to give him an invite to your shindig:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/ne...AD98A490BE80102D8625760100828B5C?OpenDocument

When peddling these bikes, pedaling is optional
Bill McClellan
More columns
Bill's Biography
Bill McClellan
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
07/29/2009

Lou Siegfried rides his bike in the neighborhoods bordering downtown St. Louis. Sometimes he pedals. Mostly he doesn't. He likes it when people do a double-take, when they wonder how the bicycle seems to be gliding along when the rider isn't pedaling. When he sees that look, he'll stop and talk. What better way to advertise an electric bicycle?

The electric bicycle is the 52-year-old entrepreneur's latest idea. It came to him one day last year when he was in Forest Park and a motorized bicycle zipped past on Lindell. A motorized bike. Why not an electric bike? The idea wasn't totally new - there are millions of them in China - but Siegfried figured there was an opportunity for electric bicycles in St. Louis.

This sort of thinking is genetic for Siegfried. His great-uncle, Ben Blum, was a legendary businessman who bought whatever he could buy at a discount and then sold it. Siegfried followed in his great-uncle's footsteps and was selling pens and novelty items when he met a man who talked about being able to get computer components at a discount.

"I told him I didn't know anything about computers, and he answered with four of the best words I've ever heard: So what? You learn."

Learn he did. He founded Ultra-Comp in 1986. He started selling components and computer kits to hobbyists. Then the company began assembling computers to sell. His client list included AT&T, General Electric, Westinghouse, McDonnell Douglas, Anheuser-Busch and Monsanto. His major rival was Iowa-based Gateway Computers. In his first year of business, he had sales of $1.5 million. The next year, sales jumped to $5 million.

Here is how the story began: "Louis Siegfried, the 32-year-old owner of a $6 million mail-order computer business, kicks back in his leather wing chair and rests his Reeboks on his desk. Obligingly, and without prodding, he tries to distill his approach to business into a few tips for success. His main piece of advice: Have fun. 'Confucius said, "Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life," I kind of like that one.'"

The computer business was fun for a long while, but Siegfried shut the company down in 1998. "Gateway just did it better," he said. He went into website design for a while, and then he saw that motorized bicycle zip past.

Why not an electric bike? It would be cleaner, greener. A little research showed him there were plenty of electric bikes already. Why, then, didn't he ever see one?

He decided that part of the problem was marketing. For instance, Lee Iacocca started an electric bike company in 1997. Siegfried learned that Iacocca, with his connections in the auto business, was able to get his bicycles into auto dealerships.

"Think about it. Would a salesman want to sell a $1,500 bike, or a $15,000 car?" Siegfried asked. In the same vein, some bicycle manufacturers produce electric bikes, but most bike shops are owned by purists. Most serious cyclists would disdain an electric bike.

So marketing would be a challenge. First, though, he had to get a product. He decided on a 36-volt lithium ion battery that would go about 30 miles on a charge and could be recharged in a standard socket. Without pedaling, it would go about 15 miles an hour. He decided on a foldable bicycle so it would be easy for people take the bike into their apartment or house. The bicycle would have three operating modes - all-electric, all pedal or a combination. For those who wanted to pedal, it would have six gears.

He found a company in China that agreed to produce it.

He named his bicycle Bolt, and he decided on a price of $1,295. He rented a place in the 1700 block of Delmar as his headquarters. He received a couple of Bolts in December. He was thrilled. "I love the product. It's therapeutic," he said. He received a shipment of 50 bicycles in May.

But how do you market an electric bicycle? He found a couple of stores that agreed to display them, but mostly, his sales, which have been slow, have been the product of word of mouth. Despite the slow sales, he is convinced that when people see the Bolt, they will be intrigued.

So you see him around the downtown area, sometimes heading north on Broadway, sometimes heading south toward Soulard. When you first see him, you figure he's gliding along after a couple of strenuous pedals, but then you realize that he's not pedaling and still gliding. If he notices your puzzled look, he'll glide over.

"Bet you've never seen a Bolt before," he'll say.

It's old-fashioned marketing, but more, it's fun. He still thinks Confucius had it right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back