Stacked dual sprockets on wheel to shift with derailleur?

scorpion1

Local time
1:15 PM
Anyone thought of this? Would it work with a 50 and a 44 and a custom made derailleur using the slotted tensioner bearings? My mind is trying to work this out. Hmmm.........

Stacked like this?

I am working on it. I have to get the chain and some materials for mounting the parts.. Just have other expensive stuff (crap I don't need) to buy ATM lol.
I don't want to lead anyone to buy the expensive parts that I think are needed until I find out whether my approach even has any merit, so I'll save the details for later; but I don't believe that it requires any custom made derailleur. ;)

Last edited:
Hey Furry, a bit hard to see the pic but it looks like you have two sprockets, the outer one smaller, and located on the left side of the wheel. You figure out chain clearance yet? I guess i wasnt the first one to think of it then :( . What will you use then, a standard bike derailleur?

Hey Furry, a bit hard to see the pic but it looks like you have two sprockets, the outer one smaller, and located on the left side of the wheel. You figure out chain clearance yet? I guess i wasnt the first one to think of it then :( . What will you use then, a standard bike derailleur?

Haha far from it. Ghost0 actually made a custom rear derailleur for the left side (and the huge stock chain), but found it to be better to use a jackshaft, and so he and Pablo created the Shift Kit. It's all here in a thread from like 2007 :)

I will be using two derailleurs. Front and rear. The sprockets in my pictures (there's more in my album) are standard front sprockets, with standard SRAM front sprocket spacing, so I will try to use a standard SRAM X0 (3x10 speed) front derailleur to shift the chain between them. I'll try to use a Shimano Zee (Shadow + (pronounced plus)) ten speed rear derailleur for the tension because of the advantages of the one way "clutch" mechanism. SRAM type II is just too expensive for me.
The chain will be the eye wateringly expensive KMC X10e, and the sprockets will be 48-42-36, though I might not be able to use the 36t, I'll have to see.
ATM I have only two sprockets mounted.. the 36t next to the 42t on the inside, the 42t is what I'm actually using while the drivetrain is single speed and using a 1/8" bmx chain and the 36t is just providing extra stiffness and support for the mount.

Last edited:
Do you have a thread on it that i can follow?
No, I have not started the attempt a derailleur based system yet. Just got the derailleurs and shifter for Christmas, but I need to finish other jobs then get the metal strips and bolts/nuts to mount it all.
There's probably a bit of info about the single speed setup, which includes some features that will be needed for the shifter. I'll convert it back to single speed if things don't work out. That's important to be able to do. I should be able to sell the expensive derailleurs too lol.
I can't recommend anyone tries this lol. Im reasonably confident it will work, on my frame, but I'm pretty certain that there will be some constraints on the dimensions of the frame when things have to clear.

It will certainly increase the drag when pedaling or coasting with the clutch lever pulled.
I hope someone comes up with a (drum brake based?) manual clutch for the rear wheel because that would be really helpful for pedalling and coasting but is beyond my fabrication abilities.

Furry:
I could be wrong, but the set-up I'm seeing is a lot like one a friend of mine tried unsuccessfully. The problem is that the chain piles up on trailing throttle due to the slack required by the derailleur.
The only solution to it is a freewheel, in which case you lose engine braking.

Furry:
I could be wrong, but the set-up I'm seeing is a lot like one a friend of mine tried unsuccessfully. The problem is that the chain piles up on trailing throttle due to the slack required by the derailleur.
The only solution to it is a freewheel, in which case you lose engine braking.
I haven't seen your friend's setup, so I'm at a disadvantage lol. I assume there are differences between what he made and what I'm going to make.
I'm going to avoid engine braking too much anyway and the bump starts will be done in the low gear so there should be little slack chain then.
I would have more problems with a freewheel, I think.
A manual clutch in the hub would be useful, if it existed.. to deal with the added pedalling resistance, not for changing gears.

Back