Stares and glares: Driving through towns & cities & your experiences.

The down side:
The trike gets more attention than I would like. When I'm riding down the road and a car approaches behind me, I pull as far to the right as I can to allow them plenty of room to pass. This means I am riding in the gravel, etc on the edge of the road. Quite often, the car will slow down and follow me for a considerable distance. I would rather not be riding in the gravel and mud. I often stop just so the car will go past me. I find it annoying.
At work, I park out front (I do take a bit of pride in my ride). It is sometimes a hassle when customers want to talk about the trike when I have work to do.
The up side:
A lot of people smile and wave. That's cool. Yesterday evening, I stopped at a grocery store on the way home. After I collected up my groceries, I walked up to the checkout counter. There was no one there. There was no one anywhere in the store. They were all out front looking at the trike.:)

And the chicks dig it.:cool:

i can not go anywhare without anyone noticeing me people turn heads when thay hear that sound, i usually get some people trying to stop me some people just look at me if i were some type of alien. if i run into the store for a quick sec when i come out about 5 people are surrounding it then i have to anwser 50 questions, example(how fast dose it go, what is the mpgs on that, or how much was it did you build it yourself) not that im complaining or anything. the one thing that got people really turning heads was the other day when i was just plain hauling a#$ threw the amc movie parking lot up on 27&101. after that people were looking at me and i got a few people calling me over once i returned. and i also once had a guy stop real quick and snap a picture.

its fun rideing them tho getting all that attention it makes me feel so much cooler and im know as the motorbike kid around that area.

This thread should be: Cheers or Jeers
I live in Colorado, the home of thousands of Lance Armstrong wannabes. I typically get jeers from anyone who wears spandex while on a bike. I don't ride bicycles for exercise but pleasure. For exercise, I run.

I got bailed up by an old guy on my first ride.He started telling me about bikes back in the 1930's.A couple of blokes have rushed up to ask me questions.The first one is "is that legal?"."Well sort of" I reply.

I've only been riding for a few weeks & have been nervious about getting book by the cops.On Sunday I went for a ride around the foreshores of Sydney Harbour.I was riding on a walking track,came around a corner and was face to face with 4 Coppers on foot patrol.I said G'day! 3 of them said hello with smiles on thier faces but one had that open mouth look you get from some people.I not sure if he was just interested in the bike or was thinking "is that thing legal?Can I book him?"I just kept on going till I hit a dead end and waited there a few minutes so that I didn't meet them on my return trip.

Great stories guys. I am happy to see that most of you have not had any trouble with the law while riding. I do NOT need any more trouble with the law. A bicycle has been my only vehicle the past few years. I made some huge mistakes on the road, and lost my license. It is going to take a long time to get it back. I can't keep peddling everywhere I go. It is driving me INSANE! Which is why I am going to get my motor bike going again.

My motor bike sure attracted alot of attenion during the one week I had it running. I had to answer a bunch of questions almost every time I stopped for gas. One day I took it for a ride down town. I stopped at a light, and a bum started circling me. He had a confused/amazed look on his face. He was asking me how much it cost, where can he get one at, can he get my phone number. Of course I got alot of attention from the kids. All my friends loved my bike too.

Just one more week, and it will be motorized again. I ordered a kit from dax. I can't wait!

Have you ever thought of building bikes for people to make a little money on the side? Had you said they were illegal over there?

I am very tempted to get some business cards printed up and building machines for people :)

I am thinking there would be quite a market for these machines specially re the price of petrol - GEBE I am familiar with - not so sure about the frame mount ones...

On a side note - I got the 'shameless gawp' from more than one biker - A guy on a Virago 1100 and some guy coming the other way on a harley-esque machine :) the poor blokes eyes were bulging out of his head...

I know some bikers locally - including one older woman who current rides a pearlescent pink Harley-D *sigh*

Jemma xx

I am very tempted to get some business cards printed up and building machines for people :)

I am thinking there would be quite a market for these machines specially re the price of petrol - GEBE I am familiar with - not so sure about the frame mount ones...

On a side note - I got the 'shameless gawp' from more than one biker - A guy on a Virago 1100 and some guy coming the other way on a harley-esque machine :) the poor blokes eyes were bulging out of his head...

I know some bikers locally - including one older woman who current rides a pearlescent pink Harley-D *sigh*

Jemma xx

Jemma, I'm down near southend in Essex, about an hour and a half from you. Im just about to build my second frame mount happy time mountain bike. I've had so much interest in the first bike from everybody I meet. Definetely going to build and sell them, hopefully we can get some more riders over here. Do you know any local motored bike riders? Hopefully make some profit, I find building them just as fun as riding them though.

I had my first run in with randoms on the bike the other day. I was riding around a neighborhood bordering mine, and while at a stop sign a few guys called me over. They were curious as to what I was riding. I've seen them working on their crotch rockets in the driveway before, but they had never seen anything like a happy time on a bike frame. I let them take it for a spin, and they loved it. Unfortunately not enough to buy it though. . . .

Taylor

Back