Stares and glares: Driving through towns & cities & your experiences.

I was riding past a bar that has a huge patio the other day, there is a parking lot stop sign right in front. So as I'm stopped in front allowing people to cross, this drunk guy comes stumbling out looks me up and down and stops at my polo style skid lid, solutes me and says, "evening General". I haven't laughed that hard in a while.

Funny I passed a bar today too. I was at the parking lot and I passed this bar full of bikers in their Harleys. For those in Colorado it was up in Northglenn by the Bingo Barn.
I slowly drove by,Happy Time humming a beautiful rhythm,and like half of them just look at me and my bike. Then I did what all bikers do when they pass each other. Closed fist how do you call it,not a wave,that gesture with your fist. A few of them gestured back and some of them smiled.
I think I'm gonna drive by there every weekend.

All those posts above were so cool.
Large I can just imagine you doing the clenched fist move.
the biker/moped dudes here have checked me out here at traffic lights...

The best bit of attention I have ever had is walking my bike up a place called
Martin Place, as there was roadwerks, and all the pedestrian traffic had been
forced into 6 feet wide. This place is a business district and can hold like 2000
people.

So I'm walking my bike along and about 200 people walk past it checking out.

Riding in a crowded city, you get lotsa looks from all types.
I've had dudes come up and want to chat and ask lotsa questions.

On a seperate note, I love overtaking dudes on expensive bicycles.
I know I shouldn't but i do.

I went for a long ride today thru some neighborhoods I don't usually drive by and three major parks where there's a whole lotta people out.
I love it,man when I'm just purring along at about 7 or 9 mph and everyone just stops what they're doing and stare at you. So I did the clenched fist move on them laughing and they just contine looking in awe. Kids are the best,though. A bunch of them were bike riding then one looks behind and stops everyone else. Then they walked their bikes backwards and gave me room to pass. Then I was like "Wassup...". They just nodded their heads mouths wide open.
Today RULED!!
Life is great,you know?

Large, I cannot add to what you haved just described, here we all are southern and northern hemispheres apart, the glares are exactly the same.

I sometimes do call-out work for a car yard ( pick up cars and deliver with owner of one car type of thing) and I use my bike to get to the car yard.
It's an "official" reason to use the bike.

I get all sorts and the worse time is during peak hour traffic morning or afternoon. Weekends seem more relaxed and I get all sorts of stares,glares,whispers and the occasional car loaUod of lads with a beer can thinking this is a big joke. To me it's not a complete joke, it's the way I travel and there is no other choice at this point in time
The kids, just WANT ONE OF THESE TO, type of look, but hey, it's not as easy as it looks and you still have the eye trick from car drivers with speed and distance. They see pedals and don't see the constant 20-30 kph approaching and may cause a misjudgment. It's the way it is and a level of compromise from our part is due, my compromise is to stay out of the way and I now don't go as fast as when I first started.
Croozes-4-No-Broozes is my motto.

Last edited:
Back