Stares and glares: Driving through towns & cities & your experiences.

Watcher05

Local time
8:56 PM
Hey all,

Thought I'd start a thread about riding your motored bike through towns & cities and how the locals react. Do they turn their heads or do motorists just go by like you weren't even there?

Since I've been riding mind and mainly going out along the outskirts of town, I still get some really weird looks. Some people stretch their necks to see what I'm riding. They must be thinking: wow, that guy on that pushy is really going fast (fast for a pushbike that is). Hang on, its making a noise. Oh, its got a motor in it. Wonder how he did that?? Others don't give me a second glance, and that's the way I like it but these bikes are going to attract attention, because of the noise and of cause they're not that common I suppose.

But how do other people go when they're riding their bikes through town? Do you ride it down city streets and through traffic lights etc, or do you keep to the outer skirts? And have any of you (especially those in Australia) had any attention from the police and what was their reaction like?

I think I read a thread somewhere on here that there were sightings of motored bikes in the Sydney CBD? Now that would certainly attract some attention (maybe not).

So, any feedback would be good and please share your experiences. Would be helpful for the people who've just started out in this hobby. :eek:

Thanks heaps - Lyall :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Whenever I ride my prototype, I get questions, comments or stares. One, or all three are guaranteed EVERY time I go out on it. Even my orange Glide Deluxe gets the same treatment.

Kids are the best cause they're not afraid to just jump right out there and say "WOAH THAT'S THE COOLEST THING I'VE EVER SEEN!"
I get stares every day.
If I had a nickel for every stare I can build me another motoredbike.
I just keep my attitude cool,though. On bike trails when a jogger,roadie or dog walker..especially dog walkers..are in my sights I shut her down and pedal. A lady even thanked me for doing this while holding her dog.
Remember your common courtesy with this hobby will go far.
Best stare ~ Three Harley riders at a light. I was crossing the street engine powered. All three of them honked their horns. I gave them the nod. They nodded back.
It was spectacular.

I have had a few odd looks which tends to be teen girls mostly.

Guys usually either stare open-mouthed, one to the point of almost impaling an eyeball on my handlebars (he was in a passing car).

Other than that I have had a few older guys coming up and telling me they remember the cyclemotors the first time round lol.

I think I most enjoy buzzing up the cycle-lanes at 25-30mph passing the £40k BMW's and such stuck in traffic jams :D

I had a guy trying to take photos of the bike the other day lol and spent 20 minutes talking to a young guy who commutes by bike who was very interested in it...

I haven't had any problems or trouble with anyone so far :)

Jemma xx

I've noticed people turning their heads when I ride by. I thought it was because of the cool bike, my wife thinks it's because I'm so ugly. Thank God for a good woman.

I have had a few odd looks which tends to be teen girls mostly.

Guys usually either stare open-mouthed, one to the point of almost impaling an eyeball on my handlebars (he was in a passing car).

Other than that I have had a few older guys coming up and telling me they remember the cyclemotors the first time round lol.

I think I most enjoy buzzing up the cycle-lanes at 25-30mph passing the £40k BMW's and such stuck in traffic jams :D

I had a guy trying to take photos of the bike the other day lol and spent 20 minutes talking to a young guy who commutes by bike who was very interested in it...

I haven't had any problems or trouble with anyone so far :)

Jemma xx

Have you ever thought of building bikes for people to make a little money on the side? Had you said they were illegal over there?

im an old motorcyclist now converted to motoredbikes, i had so much fun the other day down our road to the beach & there was a bunch of yuppie bikers parked on there shiny new cruisers & shiny leathers. they all looked up when i came over the hill & watched me comeing, they were all giveing me the thumbs up & so i pull up & say get a real bike boys!the reaction was hilarious lol! im laughing my b-tt off then i start to take off ,they stop me & they want to check out the old higgins. i must have been there 45 minutes answering question ect. it was funny!

Best stare ~ Three Harley riders at a light. I was crossing the street engine powered. All three of them honked their horns. I gave them the nod. They nodded back.
It was spectacular.

cant wait for that one! tons of biker bars in downtown hobart (where i live) and i plan to get some stairs but on the same street is the popo should be fun....but to awwnser ur question, i usually ride in the outskirts.less people less brakes :D

I get thumbs up from 2 strokers, weird looks from kids who don't know whether to laugh or what. I get lots of questions from people who want a cheap (and much faster) alternative to taking the bus and sitting in traffic during rush-hour. I've never been bothered by cops (knocks on wood).

Mine looks pretty much like an antique motorcycle. In the two times I had it out during warm weather, I saw a lot of motorcyclers rubbernecking, looking at it. And that was before it was painted; now it's all navy-blue with white tires.

As for what anyone else thinks, I haven't noticed, but I ride a recumbent bike normally. I'm used to people stopping and staring.
~

Back