Carby Starfire gen 2 48cc carb problem.

B

bornagain

Firstly the carb is leaking from the overflow/breather pipe, I have taken it apart cleaned it all and made sure the float was working correctly. Secondly it's lacking power in the lower end(seems better with baffles removed) plus when I reach say 20 mph the engine is very jerky(fuel problem maybe). I think the problem is the carb but I'm not sure what else to do. What can I do to resolve this problem? I have also had a look at the exhaust baffles and it doesn't seem blocked at all. It's done about 120 miles now, it now runs on 25:1 instead of 18:1, now that it's run in.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
besides correct operation, you'll need to have a look at the float level (searchable) and be sure the inlet and needle are very clean.

also, search out intake leaks. do you have an inline filter? watch for bubbling, which has affected performance for me in the past...that could indicate a sloppy mounting.

my opinion is that there's no way you've run it in yet...(opinion-->) go to 20:1 for a couple hundred more miles.

read read read the frame-mount section...tons of great maintenance and tune-up info...keep us posted (in this topic) about how things are going :)

Intake leaks??? Where the fuel line goes in????
Sloppy mounting??? Please explain.

I do have an inline filter, I did have air bubbles in the fuel line at first, but now they are gone.
Thanks for the help.

intake leaks=gasket, bolts, etc...

fuel inlet=carburetor

mounting=loose will vibrate so much the fuel will bubble up...

my bad, using all terms in the same paragraph.

the search function works great and you'll have your answers far quicker than we 2 could re-hash the details here one post at a time ;)

The company I purchased it from is sending me a new carb, super! Very happy with the service I'm receiving from Transformer cycles! :)

I think augidog hit the nail on the head. Sounds very much like the float is set too high. As long as everything else is tight and correct, those symptoms sound like the float is off.

Jim

carb fix

I had the same problem. I check out the float . This kept on happening untilI went to PEP BOYS & bought a $1.20 inline fuel filter. I've got a good 350 miles since. No more problems !!!!!!
keep it between the ditches

The new carb is doing exactly the same thing as the old carb, leaking! Time to call it a day and bin the kit. Time to find a more reliable form of transport. :(

omg-u seriuos a little intake leak ai'nt nut'n just keep on trukin it gets beter

Sounds like you have trash in your fuel tank. The fuel filter suggestion is spot on.

Back