Start Of SkyHawk Builds.

I have both the GTS and GTA frames to build. Today started the process of electroplating the GTS frame. Had to sand the brush markes out of the frame so when i started the process the brush marks don't show threw. I first started of with Bright nickle them put copper strike on it and finished it off with 3hrs of copper acid. Tomorrow I'll be doing a process called electroless nickel plating. Makes it pretty much indestructible. The hardest part was the sanding did it all by hand to make sure it came out well. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the GTA frame yet I have access to all kinds of process to do and make it look cool. maybe a black trichrome or something. sanding process i used 150, 400, 600, 800, 1200, 2000 grit to get it to a nice shine and get rid of the brush marks. After it came out of the acid copper had to buff it to a nice shine. That's what makes it really pop when you put it in the Bright Nickel. I'll be posting more pics of the process.

What are the differences?

Nickel will have a warmer, more yellow tone. Chrome, more of a blue tone. For comparison, look at a stainless steel spoon vs. an old car bumper in the sun.

I always thought chrome would be more durable outdoors, but I'm not a plating pro so guess I was wrong.

Last edited:
Nickel will have a warmer, more yellow tone. Chrome, more of a blue tone. For comparison, look at a stainless steel spoon vs. an old car bumper in the sun.

I always thought chrome would be more durable outdoors, but I'm not a plating pro so guess I was wrong.

I thought chrome was stronger outdoors also. But it will wear quicker then En outdoors in the elements. Hard chrome you would use in place that are prone to hard wear like the bearing cups of bicycle or rollers for conveyor belts stuff like that. Today at work i redid the bearing cups for the build that I took off a donor bike because its in a heavy wear area the En wouldn't last that long with the bearings in the cups you would get wear marks in it pretty quick. They both have there perks.

Taking Them out of Bright Nickel

Out Of Chrome

After Rinse

And Final Product

Firearm manufacturing would use nickel for exterior finishes, and some would use hard chrome for chambers, interior mechanical components, and barrel bores. It must be nice to have access to what you are doing.

Firearm manufacturing would use nickel for exterior finishes, and some would use hard chrome for chambers, interior mechanical components, and barrel bores. It must be nice to have access to what you are doing.

I'm jealous. This would be me if I had access to that joint. (Except my socks would be chome too.)

Everything+is+chrome+in+the+future_5435db_5206954.jpg

Back