Start up for Whizzer

Great discussion. Believe it or not, this helps us all to have friendly debates on what works best. For someone that is not versed well in oils, especially for the Whizzer NE5 or WC-1, or even the old Whizzers......it is easy to just think,"Ah, Mobil 1 10-40" or whatever is the best because it costs the most, it must be the best for my motor, and by pouring 8oz of this great stuff in there - I'll gain power. Wrong.

Sometimes we just need to learn from other folks mistakes, and luckily we have the internet now, and good folks that use the board here to learn from.

Thanks for posting,

Dallas - Colorado Springs

One of the most durable parts in a new edition Whizzer motor [WC-1 or NE]is the rings. I have motors with well over 6000 miles and still use the original rings. Why do I mention this fact when talking about oil? Because the rings are so tough it takes longer to break-in the motor, because the majority of the break-in process centers around the rings "seating" in the cylinder. Two things happen when using Synt. oil, first the rings will take forever to mate to the cylinder, and secondly the thinner oil will become a victim to "blow-by" and push the expensive oil out through the breather system. During the break-in process [prior to the rings sealing the cylinder] a fair amount of pressure will collect in the crankcase, and of course when the rings seat the pressure drops. Another concern that needs addressed is compairing "air" verses "water" cooled motors. During recent tests it became apparent the oil "foams". I guess when you "beat" the oil with the rod "dasher" in has a tendency to mix air with the oil and create foam. So consider the following, straight weight oil doesn't foam as much as many Synt. oils, Synt. oil doesn't offer much in the way of performance, and Synt. oil cost a lot more. I tested many types of Synt. oils and eventually went back to straight 40 Wt. Of course I change the oil often in my Whizzers [approx. 300 to 500 miles per change], so I find it less expensive to throw away straight 40 Wt. as opposed to Mobil One.
Whizzer OuterBanks,
Quenton

Hi quention you are so right on the money 40wt change it alot ,have a great ride ,PS, with NO filter on A splash system and only 8oz I change it every 100 miles .ITS CHEEP .Bill Green Vancouver Whizzer

Back