Started by Necessity, Now I'm addicted.

BoDean_LP

Local time
12:23 PM
Hello all. I'm new to the world of motorized bikes. I just want to share a little about how I got started.

I lost my driver's license due to lack of insurance, so I was in need of transportation. A regular bicycle just wouldn't do, and I couldn't afford a moped. I had about $60 to spend on a motorized vehicle of some sort. By some awesome twist of time and fate, I stumbled across the humble friction bike. My friends sort of laughed in disbelief when I said I was gonna build one. Now they're laughing in amazement.

I bought an old 70's or 80's Schwinn cruiser from a junk lot for $26. I then found a barely running 22cc leaf blower on CL for $10. Before I could mount the leaf blower, somebody gave me a 31cc Ryobi weed eater. It was a matter of about three hours, and I had the Ryobi on the bike and running. The first time it fired up was just awesome. I installed a Schwinn Speedo, and was registering a top speed of a little over 29mph. Sadly, I bent the back rim by hitting a storm drain edge at about 25mph. The bent rim wreaked havoc on the poor 31cc crankshaft, and it broke about 15 miles from home. I soon mounted the 22cc, but then was given a Ryobi 30cc a few days later. The intake cracked on that, then back to the 22cc. Amazingly, somebody gave me a Homelite blower that had the same 30cc bottom end with a cracked cylinder. I combined the two engines to make one good running one, then polished everything with a Dremel. About a week later, I bought a no-name bike of the same cruiser style for $30, onto which I mounted the 22cc. For a few days, I actually had the 22cc on a Free Spirit trike, but the 30 minute mounting job just didn't hold up, so I scrapped it until the new welder arrives.

Speaking of welding, I didn't weld anything on the two cruisers. I instead used plates of 3/4" thick solid wood. One is cedar or something similar, the other is pine. I just traced out the necessary holes, and then drilled and hacksawed until it all fit together. I wish I wouldn't have, but I drilled holes in the Schwinn frame. On the second bike, I used U-bolts instead. I'll upload some pictures soon. The U-Bolt setup gives me the option of adjusting the tension and changing the size of the drive socket.

I now have a 66cc kit on the way, which is going on the nicer looking no-name. (The no-name is as such because somebody painted over all the logos. It has Schwinn grips, so maybe . . . Well, it's old, whatever it is.)

I know I'm a little "long winded". I type too fast for your own good I guess, because thoughts become paragraphs before I know it. So, that may be something you notice from me. I'll try to only write useful things though, so please bear with me.

Anyways, hello to you all. My name is Josh (BoDean). I've been an addict for 30 days or so. I know that there are twelve steps, but who would walk when they can ride?

Welcome to MBc, Josh. Now that you have introduced yourself, be sure to read all you can, including the 'Stickies' at the top of every Forum. They contain a lot of information. For example, Sticky #1 under "Introduce Yourself" has 20 or so links to “How To…” threads, and important pages for you to follow. Sticky #3 has info on Forums...how you are expected to conduct yourself, and where you might find and use various features. However, read all of them, and be sure to use the search feature. Almost every question you might have has already been asked and answered someplace here. If you are still stumped with a certain problem, post your question in the proper Forum and I am sure you will get an answer.

That is an excellent example of "improvise, adapt, and overcome." It sounds like you have caught on early to what this endeavor is all about...you build it, repair it, rebuild it, fix it again, et cetera. Keep it up, and Good Luck to you.

Patrick

In my situation the hobby started in the same way as you've described: be necessity, then becoming an addiction that got way out of control.

Here are important questions to consider when building for yourself or others:

1) What is the predominant riding terrain?
2) What type of physique does the primary rider have?
3) What will the rider's local laws allow and require them to have?
(Lookup and personally read these laws.)
4) What kind of bike is being motorized?
5) What is the bike to be used for?
6) How much of a budget is to be used for the build?

Seek the answers to these questions in order to get the most out of the bike you're building. We're here to help with any questions you may have. Good luck with your build.

Back