Started my new Worksman build

I joined the forum last August with my first build-- a Micargi type cruiser with a military flare. After about 300 miles of riding, the aluminum frame cracked. There was no point in trying to repair the frame-- it was too likely to crack again-- so I am starting over with a Worksman.

I'm going for "generic vintage" but not specifically BTR or anything. Now that I have the frame and fork painted, once the paint hardens, I'll be able to start building. If my skills match my vision, it will have some decent vintage-inspired graphics on the tank and fenders.

picture.php

the build is going to include a full electrical system-- brake, tail, and turn signal lights, headlight, and horn, run off a rechargeable 12v battery. At this point, I'll just be recharging the battery in the house as opposed to from a dynamo.

Since I have to do my painting outside, it's been a challenge to make time on sunny days to get anything done.

That looks like a good frame for the job. I'll bet you'll be happy with it.

I know what you mean about trying to paint when you don't have a good, indoor, place for it. Makes it a lot harder. Good luck.

why didn't you remove the cranks, sprocket and seat post clamp before you sprayed it?
I think it would have been easier to remove them than to spend all that time taping everything up.
and then you risk the chance of the paint bleeding under the paint, which would mean more time to clean it off.
I'm guessing that this is just gray primer and not the actual paint?

I couldn't get the seat post clamp off, and I don't have a wrench big enough to get the crank off. I've already taken the tape off, and everything is fine.

the color is satin "Oregano", and it's a grayish green to emulate the really early Harleys. In the sun, it's more green.

Wow! That color sounds great!
Did you say what brand paint that was, and your source?
Tnx!

Wow! That color sounds great!
Did you say what brand paint that was, and your source?
Tnx!

Primer: Rustoleum Auto primer. Two coats, sanded between.
Color: Rustoleum American Accents Oregano (satin). Three coats, steel wool between
Clear coat: Rustoleum Painters touch Ultra Coverage Semi Gloss. Three coats.

I couldn't find the color at any of the local hardware stores, so I ended up buying through The Big Paint Store. It's been hanging up for a little less than a week now, and I think it is close to cured-- I was thumping my tungsten ring on a section of painted metal along the steering tube of the fork (where chips wouldn't matter) and I couldn't get it to chip or scratch.

Tnx RBX !
Really appreciate the specifics. (I wouldn't copy-cat exactly, but would perhaps tone the paint a bit different.

Lol
Looks to be in ur living room... I dun that before !
HAD to paint a hi-dollar door with a cherrywood stain, it HAD to come out well, and I had NO place to do it that was dust controlled.

SO, I got out the roll of painter's plastic and made a tunnel in the front room of our apartment. One end open to the balcony and the other to the kitchen where a small fan was placed to keep the plastic away from the project and force the overspray outside.
Fired up the HVLP and blasted away. It came out very well !
Cleanup was one armload of plastic headed to the dumpster. :)

Best
rc

I have to paint outdoors, but it's hanging to cure in the living room. My "workshop" is the dining room. It's definitely not "dust controlled", but it's safer than leaving everything outside, and it's a better environment than the basement.

Painting tip-- I didn't buy enough paint. To paint EVERYTHING, it's going to take-- three cans primer, four cans color, three cans clear coat (and that's with the stuff that says it's double coverage). Actually, the clear coat I have MIGHT finish my project, but I don't know.

I bought: 3 cans color, 2 cans primer, 2 cans clear coat (double coverage clear coat). This much will cover the frame, fork, rear fender, and tank.

I haven't decided if I'm going to use the front fender, but I will use the chain guard.

Back