Starting a new project, joning a new community

Hi there every one here at MotoredBikes.com!!! My name is Rob, but my handle is 29errider0R I have decided due to some recent complications with my drivers license to build a quick and nimble way to get to and from work in a reasonable amount of time. This is my first brush in with the world of peddle assist motor(s) kits. I purchased the SD Stinger 80/cc 2stroke which weighs approximately 25 lbs.

I will receive the motor kit the 12 of this month, July. The issue I am dealing with now is that I want a good 29er and only have a budget allowance of 500 dollars american. I have been browsing around and think I may have found what I am looking for in a bike, the problem I am thinking that will be my biggest obstetrical to overcome is the fact that I will require Disk Brakes. ( they don't have to be hydrochloric ) I honestly do not feel that I will require anything more then a single speed but I would not be bothered with something nine speed or so.

As I understand it the SD Stinger is attached to the spokes of the back wheel, however if I have disk brakes on the back tire how will I be able to attack the hub for the motor??

here are the two bikes that I am looking at, if anyone can please give their input as to what they believe is the easiest combination with witch to build .

Dawes HayMaker 2900
Front Suspension 29er Mountain Bike
haymaker_2900_blk_500.jpg
Specs
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Frame --- Hydroformed 6061 Aluminum, Water Bottle Mounts, Removable Derailleur Hanger
Fork -- SUNTOUR SF11-XCT V3 MLO 100 mm travel
Crankset -- SUNTOUR XCT 22/32/42T, 175MM
Bottom Bracket -- Sealed SUNTOUR BB8-XCT 113mm Spindle
Pedals -- VP BLACK PLASTIC BODY W/STEEL BLACK CAGE, Cr-Mo axle 9/16"
Front Derailleur -- SUNTOUR FD8-XCC202 TOP PULL
Rear Derailleur -- SHIMANO ACERA
Shifters -- SHIMANO ST-EF51 24-SP BLACK
Cassette/Freewheel -- SIMANO CS-HG308ISPL 11-34T (24 speeds)
Chain -- KMC Z72
Hubs -- Dawes FORMULA disc Hubs, ALLOY BLACK W/QR
Spokes -- Stainless steel 14Ga.
Rims -- Aluminum 700Cx36H DA-17 DOUBLE WALL, ALLOY BLACK
Tires -- 29" BlackWall 29x2.25 F&R
Brakes -- TEKTRO NOVELA DISC BRAKE F&R
Brake Levers -- SHIMANO ST-EF51 F&R
Headset -- VP-A71 1-1/8" Threadless
Handlebar -- Dawes 620MM, STEEL BLACK Riser Bar
Stem -- Dawes Alloy MTB, EXT:90MM(16"~18")/105MM(20"~22")x10 DEGREES, ALLOY BLACK
Tape/Grip -- WTB BLACK/GRAY KRATON
Saddle -- WTB SPEED V SPORT SE
Seat Post -- Dawes Micro Adjust Alloy 27.2x300mm
Seat Post-- Clamp Super Light Alloy with bolt
Sizes 16", 18", 20", 22" Click for 29R Geometry
Colors GlossBlack or Orange (a very neon, bright orange)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motobecane Outcast 29
29er Mountain Bike
outc29_blk_600.jpg
Specs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Frame -- 6061 MOTO29X Aluminum with TrailTuned PowerStay Design, DualProfile Downtube with reinforced Gusset, 2x H2O bosses, Rear IS Disc Brake tabs, Tri-Bolt Machined-Aluminum Horizontally-Adjustable rear dropouts (135mm rear, 9-speed compatible)

Fork-- Rockshox Recon Silver TK Air for 29er, Hydraulic rebound damping adjust, 100mm Travel + Crown-mounted TurnKey Lockout Lever (FORK MSRP $320)

Crankset -- TruVativ IsoFlow Aluminum 175mm with bash guard, 42T Chainring + FREE Bonus 33T Chainring
(bash guard is silver or black (No Choice) BCD is 104mm

Bottom Bracket-- TruVativ sealed 68x118mm, Square taper axle
Pedals -- WellGo Mountain Platform, 9/16 axle
Front Derailleur -- N/A (31.8mm seat tube clamp diameter)
Rear Derailleur -- N/A (Machined Aluminum Horizontally Adjustable rear dropouts (Multi-speed convert/compatible)
Shifters -- N/A
Cassette/Freewheel -- 20T cog + Lock ring, 9-speed to 1-speed spacer
Chain -- KMC Z51
Hubs-- GRAVITY PRECISION BEARING Aluminum (black) - 9-speed Freehub REAR 135mm
Spokes -- Stainless steel 14G
Rims -- Alex TN21 for 29", Black anodized Aluminum
Tires -- Kenda Nevegal 29x2.2, wire bead, Presta Valve tubes
(FYI- some 2.35 tires may work but not guaranteed)

Brakes -- Tektro Novela or IO Disc Brake (No Choice), 180mm rotors Fr/Rr
Brake Levers -- Tektro Aluminum, RS-360A
Headset-- TH Threadless Labyrinth Sealed 1.125 inch
Handlebar -- Medium Rizer 20x600mm Black Finish Aluminum 6061 T6
Stem-- Black Finish Aluminum threadless
Tape/Grip -- WTB DualCompound
Saddle -- WTB SpeedV Sport SE
Seat Post -- Black Finish Aluminum Mountain 27.2x350mm
Seat Post Clamp-- Super Light Alloy with bolt
Sizes 15", 17", 19", 21" 29R Geometry
Colors MatteBlack or MatteRed MatteBlack and MatteRed Gallery,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

If someone could help me out here I would be in their debt for sure, as I am not just wanting this as a hobby but as I do require it for proper transportation to and from my place of work. (only about a mile or so apart) I am moving into a new place the first week of august so this project also had a time sensitive marker on it. Thank you to whom ever responds in length.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the 2009 Motobecane Outcast, and I do LOVE IT!!

It's the completely rigid frame, with no suspension at all. A wide, springed, leather saddle is definitely the only real addition you need to make.

But this 2012 Motobecane Outcast looks to be an additional $250, so I'm not so sure it's quite as good of a deal.

I'll tell you what I'd do. I'd save up for this titanium Motobecane FLY.... http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fly_TeamTI_29_xo_20.htm

I think it'd be worth it. Sure, $2000 seems ridiculous... but then again, Motobecane offers a lifetime warranty on their titanium frame.... so it's got to be worth it for a sub-20 lbs bike. I am impressed by it, at least, and I think I will be saving all my pennies for the next year. I'd prefer a rigid frame, instead of just a hardtail... but I guess I could live with it.

29ers really don't need suspension because of the "angle of attack" when it comes to hitting bumps or potholes. With a 29er, you don't ride IN your obstacles, you ride OVER them!! ;)

The ONLY reasons you should choose a 26" over a 29" bike is:

(1) you are shorter than 5'6". Even 5'7" and 5'8" folks might have a bit of trouble if your inseam won't go over the frame. Somewhere in this height range, you are going to have to try the bike on for size to know if it fits you or not.
(2) larger tires = more volume, which needs more space. If your 26" bike is a tight fit in your home, car, truck, whatever... then a 29" bike might not fit without a bit of trouble (removing a tire or two).

And that's about it.

If you can fit on a 29er, then don't even think about looking for a 26" ride.

Ive used this method during breakdown times with my car, and its a good way to go. if you just need it to work you can pick any generic 26" bike and spend 25 bucks doing it.

ive built the "80cc" (66 in real math) on a 26" schwinn and it got me to work on average of 2-3min faster than by car - same route. that being said i'd average about 25mph, and its been topped at 39.3 via GPS.

Go for it!

Back