Starting from square one...

I respect the fact that you need your bike to get back and forth to work. I built my current ride to be as reliable as possible, because I was going to use it to go back and forth to work as well. And I did ride it back and forth to work every day till it got too cold and the roads got bad. The only reason I built it to look good is because I figured if I'm building it from the ground up, I might as well make it look good while I'm at it. A lot of people mistake it for an old motorcycle, which was the plan from the start. But the point is that this is not just a hobby for me, which is why I built the best bike I could. And my main point was, you don't need to know how every single part works in order to put it together. You will need to understand certain things in order to make adjustments that might be necessary. For example, once the engine is broken in, you might need to adjust the carb. The best way to tell is to do a plug chop. You would need to know how to do a plug chop and what color the tip of the plug should be (it's not hard to do). If the plug is not the right color, you will need to adjust the carb accordingly and do another plug chop. All you need to know to adjust the carb is which way to move the position on the throttle needle to adjust the fuel mixture (if the plug isn't the right color, then the fuel mixture isn't right). After several adjustments and plug chops, if you're still not seeing the right color, you may have an air leak and you will need to know how to look for one. But for now, put the kit together and see how it runs. If you have problems, let us know what they are and we can help you troubleshoot. Ain't but so many things can stop one of these engines from running right. My point is, you will spend A LOT more time trying to learn all this stuff than you will getting your hands dirty. And whether or not you care about feeling proud, you WILL be proud of yourself once you get one of these suckers on the road. When I ordered my first kit, it was just supposed to be for transportation as well. Once I rode it and saw how much fun it was, I was hooked and it was about so much more than transportation. I'm trying to help you. Trust me when I say taking it one step at a time is best. Have confidence in yourself, trust us to help you and above all try to have fun while you're at it. If you're not having fun, then this hobby/sport/transportation is not for you. These bikes almost always cost more than a used motorcycle in the long run. If all you need is cheap transportation now, should have got a scooter. That's not being disrespectful. Be prepared to spend more than you would have on a used scooter and a lot of your free time fixing it. I hope you have another way to work.

I need this bike to get to work. I don't have the time to spends hours tinkering with unnecessary aesthetic modifications,

Just get yourself the Deluxe shift kit with the White Industries Heavy Duty Freewheel, and then order the optional left hand side chain tensioner and the optional right hand side chain tensioner.
This arrangement will give all the reliability you require.

If wishing to spec things up a little and add more broad spectrum functionality to your bike, you should order the optional 9 tooth and 48 tooth jackshaft sprockets, as well as the optional 24 tooth and 30 tooth sprockets, so enabling a dual speed front derailleur operated mechanism.

If wishing to use the bike for off-road touring purposes, you will need to add/install a comprehensive final drive chain stabilisation system.

If you want reliability out of a MB you'll want a 4-stroke kit, a mechanic and money to pay the mechanic for him to do the work for you. Or get a scooter. If you want to learn about how to do it yourself, read more of this forum. Search for 'reliability' and you will find much advice. It may be discouraging at first, but it really is't difficult.This is a great community of helpful people, but I doubt many of them will spoon feed all the info you may require (not knowing your background). Unless you pay them.Hopefully, when you get the kit, you will love it as much as the rest of us do.

Just get yourself the Deluxe shift kit with the White Industries Heavy Duty Freewheel, and then order the optional left hand side chain tensioner and the optional right hand side chain tensioner.
This arrangement will give all the reliability you require.

If wishing to spec things up a little and add more broad spectrum functionality to your bike, you should order the optional 9 tooth and 48 tooth jackshaft sprockets, as well as the optional 24 tooth and 30 tooth sprockets, so enabling a dual speed front derailleur operated mechanism.

If wishing to use the bike for off-road touring purposes, you will need to add/install a comprehensive final drive chain stabilisation system.

Oh yeah, cause you can really tell from the conversation that this guy is ready for a shift kit. He doesn't even want to put it together without knowing what every single part in the carburetor does, and you're going to throw him a shift kit. You have a knack for quoting people out of context.

I started from the word go with the shift kit and endured 2 years of pain and heartache getting the engine to run efficiently and designing & getting the shift kit fitted with chain tensioners and getting the final drive train to work reliably.

Now you can purchase "all" of these accessory products and assemble a reliable motorized bicycle with a high level of functionality.

The hard work has already been done.

I don't think you got the point of what I said. The guy doesn't even want to put a carburetor on without knowing everything there is to know about it, and you're recommending a shift kit. I don't know how many ways I can say it with you continuing to miss the point. Not to mention the guy has no mechanical knowledge at all. I would not have attempted a shift kit on my first bike. In fact, I still don't have one.

Its funny how we continue without input from sdratler... Best thing to do may be to ask one of the sellers of built MBs. Maybe one of these people live close by.

I just think it's funny how some shifters think a shift kit is the answer to everything. The guy hasn't even built a bike yet and here is someone already pushing a shift kit on him. Makes me wonder how much sbp is paying Fabian?

I think a shift kit is great! but depending on location and need. if you live in a very hilly place it is for you. but if you live in the great plains or somewhere really flat the single speed with chain tensioner heavily reinforced would be the most reliable possible setup to get you to work on time. not putting the shift kit down it is amazing. but more parts equal more to fail.
as for learning how to set up and use your engine. simply read the manual follow manufactureres specs and take a test ride. learn about the plug color due to jetting and get a good chain tensioner.

Back