Starting over on the GEBE...

U

uncle_punk13

'Twas on a crisp december morn' that my latest quest began; when I first set foot upon the path to my latest creation. I had begun once, and stopped almost as quickly as the creation stalled out. The creature just wasn't right. And so, two nights ago, I began a-new. I had an idea, that would pay tribute to my heroic ancestors. I wanted a bike that, while not being a replica, would have a haunting sort of evidence. I wanted a bike that would have those touches that would give the feel of an antique from our direct heritage of the Edwardian times. Those times when backyard engineering, of engines and bicycles was the motorcycle industry standard. I wanted that sort of undercurrent or flavor, but with modern technologies and a set up that, while not spotlighting, or showcasing, the rack mount system, would at least celebrate it and not try to hide it. With this in mind I set about to build this creature.
I searched amongst the parts and bikes I had on hand here at my home for a diamond frame... Nothing would be right and so I knew I had to hit the road. And so it began; and I drove. I drove that ol' Dart of mine through the suburbs, through the semi rural neighborhoods, into the the rural countryside that I once knew as home.
From the depths of the big old red barn, far out and away from the slick city, on that farm where I spent my boyhood youth, I found what I had come for...
Once inside the darkened confines of the barn, with the only light being those thick, dust covered shafts that find their way from the windows to fall heavy and laden; to lay in sharp fragments along the floor. My eyes searched high in the dim for that one special frame that I just knew had to be there; a few likely candidates were to be found and had. From off the nails, driven with imprecision into the rough-hewn rafters, I pulled three diamond frames. a Schwinn and two solid, vintage Huffy's. After careful measurement I found only the Huffy's might work and selected the one with the best numbers. At this point I carefully inspected the frame for any weakness: Carefully looking for joints not well welded/brazed, searching for any evidence of damage or abuse. Everything looked good. I knew right away that I wanted to add some bits, so I grabbed some extra plate steel to make gussetting plates from, and some of the accesory pieces while there. I loaded up and drove it all home, where the rest of my parts that would be required lay about... As I begin to do this I am finding more and more bits that are not working as I would like them to, and therefore must scrounge through my junk for parts that will. I'm getting low on my supplies and should start canvassing the area again for old bikes. The wheel I wanted to use isn't going to work so I'll have to rob the one from the old Firestone, it's a bendix RB 2 single speed coaster and will work just fine for this, but the wheel is crusty, and I'll have to drill out the wheel and the hub to accept larger spokes, and have it built up. And that is currently where I am at, the engine is attached to the drive kit, and now I'm getting the bits for the bike together and correct. Stay tuned for more details and such...

hey riff!! i cant wait for this one! i think my next bike will resemble one of my grandpa's bikes! god this is getting fun!

I know! My first few were fairly miundane and then I got all outta control and carried away; now it's just the bees knees and laughs...

Mock up of GEBE bike

In the dark of night by dim, flickering flourescent lamp light, the creature began to take shape- as the storms outside howled their protest against this abhorition of nature, the work continued, a piece from here some bits from there, and the heart; the soul of the beast was ploaced for fit. Ah yes, this was to become what it would become; the creation was now building itself, I was merely the vehicle for which it was able to collect parts, and turn wrenches with surgical precision...:eek:

Attachments

• Gebe mock up 1.15.08.jpg
    Gebe mock up 1.15.08.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 471
Yeah man. I've had that thing for a few years and could never find the right project- they all stalled out. I guess it was waiting for this... Wait'll you see the battery box if it fits right... It looks right out of 1905. :) Head and tail lamps too! As I was saying above, I want to pay tribute and celebrate our heritage, but also to celebrate modern technologies. Hopefully I can pull this off without it looking, or coming off as, 'hokey'. I'm starting to feel alive, and real again with this build... Lovin' it!

unc, your motoredbike is the shape of things past & present, Good work.louis

Thanks 'roder,
It's a-coming along fairly well. I found some other parts like H.D. wheels so I'm waiting on that order to come in before I can move much further along. I may cut and braze in the gussets today if I feel like it and have time.

Hey Wavy! I made those. I took an old set of '59 Columbia middleweight bars that had the right rise and bend, then chopped up an old set of high-rise bars from a huffy bannana seat bike, and extended them. The grips are modern repops of an old elgin style grip...

Back