Starting Question

Here is what I did.
1282_jackshafthub_1.jpg

I scored it with a drywall keyhole saw of all things. Anyway I just slightly scored it enough that its rough. I wrapped a rope around it. The rope does not need a knot it just wraps over itself once to hold the loose end in place then I can wrap it 4-5 times around give it a good yank and it spins the hell out of the hub. I can take a spoke "broken one" put it through the spoke holes and hold onto it and have another person pull the rope while I am preventing it from spinning. The rope will not budge on there at all so I have a pull starter without having to do much modification :)

By the way the scores I did on are running in a spiral in one direction going left and the other direction going right. It adds a TON of grip to that rope and when I hit the end of the rope it just flys free! Hurray for pullstart indestructibility

I see how you can spin the hub. What's the hub gonna spin??
I'm not seeing it :? :???:

I need more info.....

Never use cotton rope for this type of pull start. Use nylon.

Cotton rope has been known to break during a back fire, the engine starts, then the rope becomes a very fast whipping machine. Seen it happen once...not to me. :eek:

I already have a nylon rope with a flamed end sealed.. Cotton cannot be frayproofed this way :)

Also there is no knot so it would just fly off anyway unless things went very wrong :) Usually things do though :)

srdavo said:
I see how you can spin the hub. What's the hub gonna spin??
I'm not seeing it :? :???:

I need more info.....

The hub is going to transfer the power from one side of the bike to the other it will have sprockets on both sides. By transferring the power to a rear cassette 7 speed YEAH!! I am planning on using all 7 btw.

But the cassette will spin and will not popstart the bicycle. This leaves a problem where to start the bike or how. I spoke with Mike Simpson he told me about the plastic and metal used to make the starter that you can get and I agreed with him bad idea to be left without a usable starter.

Mike then talked about the old starters on lawn mowers that was a cord you would wind around yank then put in pocket. I thought about it long and hard of how to make it so that hub would be able to have a notch for the knot as these older ones did and nothing came to mind on how to do it. So I thought about it a bit more and scoring it allowed for grip.

So spinning that hub with a rope wrapped around the middle will turn the motor over and crank it. So think of it like this.

Motor -> Sprocket -> Hub <- Sprocket <- Cassette

All roads lead to the hub so by cranking that hub it will fire up the motor.

http://www.motoredbikes.com/viewtopic.php?p=16143#16143

That should help a bit more :D

Much more info will come from this next week when I start building it. As of right now the mikes hard lemonade bike is destroyed. I parked it and disassembled it to prevent myself from being hurt. It had a good run of about 600 miles before it crappified out. A mess of the components on the bike were not very high quality.

you are the 12th person in my life that ive told this to... first, trun on gas, pull throttle all the way back and hold it, tip bike all the way on its left side for approximately 2-3 seconds, then bring it back on, choke it, they give it a try, works on my dirtbike every time even on the coldest days. it allows gravity to pull the gas out of the carb and to go into the cylinder.

Jon :D

Hello everyone I am in need of help. I got my bike running once. Since then I get the bike pedaling but when i let out the clutch it sounds like its running but when I try and give it gas it just has a low rumble but doesn't do much when gas is applied and then dies out. I've tried it with the choke on and off. Its getting fuel. I have checked the spark plug and it looks fine. Im using the stock spark plug that came with it. Also its getting fuel because it started nicely once and also the bowl on the bottom of the carburetor is getting fuel... Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks!

check wiring:
blue/green to blue/green (killswitch here)
black to black
white for light or capped off

disconnect killswitch to troubleshoot a starting problem.

also search: "idle" "killswitch" "spark plug gap"

read the "happy time owner's manual" for basic info.

So spinning that hub with a rope wrapped around the middle will turn the motor over and crank it. So think of it like this.

Motor -> Sprocket -> Hub <- Sprocket <- Cassette

All roads lead to the hub so by cranking that hub it will fire up the motor.

:cool:so, Slicer, your modified hub becomes a solid part of the jackshaft? whether mounted left/centered/right side of the bike, let's hope you have a good angle to pull-start the engine.
GREAT idea, by the way. i might use it to start my twin engine#2, if i install a centrifugal clutch on the jackshaft. that way, i'll have 1 less clutch lever to control.

Herrmanator, Slicer's trying to kickstart/pullstart the engine, not fire it up.

Myron

Last edited by a moderator:
I say find a way to rig that freewheel so it's stiff when you initialy start your engine then with the clutch in,unstiff it. Maybe a rig from a three speed hub but instead of gears have that little lever stiffen then unstiffen when moved with a lever,maybe an old school 10 speed shifter lever.
I remember back in the day before freewheel 20 inch rims were common and were pricey,coster brake rims were the norm and we made it freewheel by removing the brake items inside the hub. I'm sure with a little enginuety there would be some way to get that hub stiff enough to start that motor.

Back