Starting Up Hill - Which Clutch Is Better?

Howdy It sounds like the problem is more lack of torq than anything . I would mill the head .070 and increase your compression from 90 psi to aprox.130 psi and will make A big difference in torq. or pull power..Hope this helps Bill Green

Pedaling + whatever engine & clutch you choose will always beat not pedaling with the same engine & clutch combination.

But automatic clutch is definitely waayyy nicer, IMO... as I can carry something in my left hand, while gassing or braking with my right. I dunno all the details for Whizzers & belt-drives, tho.

Pedaling + whatever engine & clutch you choose will always beat not pedaling with the same engine & clutch combination.

But automatic clutch is definitely waayyy nicer, IMO... as I can carry something in my left hand, while gassing or braking with my right. I dunno all the details for Whizzers & belt-drives, tho.

The peddles are essential parts of the Whizzer (more on that in a second)

Bill is right! More torque is important, especially with the 90cc clutch. The problem with more torque is transmitting it to the wheels. Whizzer stock belts are marginal at best. The small belt will slip and squall under a stiff load. Belt dressing helps but a good quality belt and making sure it's tight is better.

Do a search here for a thread where Quenton outlines how to remove the glazing from a clutch. Helps a lot.

Now to the peddles. I bought an Ambassador (contingent on a test drive) .
I did test drive it. It is like trying to sail a garbage scow in a hurricane.

Without the peddles and with the added weight, it just doesn't want to get moving. I;d be terrified to take that thing in heavy traffic with stop lights. Needless to say I backed out of the deal as I wanted something to use where my NE5 was just too slow. (I bought a Honda XL600R that did 92 in the quarter when I test drove it. Nice bike for a mature elderly man:D)

Last edited:
Peter,

Nice informative post. The squealing is me slipping the MANual clutch to get as much 'acceleration' as possible. When fully engaged (I was taught disengaged in farm class) the clutch doesn't seem to slip at all. Normally, I pedal up to about 14mph, drop the clutch, and let the engine take it from there.

I'd really worry about the unintended consequences of a compression increase too. Right now it purrs along so nice at cruising speed. Very mellow and relaxed. Easy to imagine I'm riding an early 1900's motorbike. More compression would mean more heat, more vibration, and higher loads on an already fragile platform.

I really don't know what they were thinking with the Ambassador??? I wish they put the effort into Whizzer improvements instead.

Hey, I've got one of those XL600R's too!

Back