Starting Up Hill - Which Clutch Is Better?

fsprandy

Local time
12:07 PM
Nothing worse on mine than having to take off on a steep incline. Is one of the clutch options better than the other for this?

Who, and where are you?

Hi, it's a great help to introduce yourself, yes there are 3 clutch sizes, but I don't know what bike you have, what your geography is or anything.

Mike

Auto Or Manual Clutch

Sorry, let me clarify. Is the auto clutch or the manual clutch better for starting uphill. Assuming the operator has excellent manual clutch control.

I have found the auto clutch to be better in my case. Once the auto clutch is broken in it will lock up at about 2200rpm. Up to that point it will slip and keep the engine it's power band.
Please stop buy the intro forum and say hello. We like to get to know who we are helping. Thanks

Jim

Hi,
If "hills" are an issue, consider the 70MM automatic clutch, however your top end will be reduced by an average of 10 MPH at 5000 RPMs. 5000 RPMs with the slip or 90 MM automatic clutch will carry a Whizzer to a top end of 43.01728 MPH, whereas the 70 MM automatic clutch @ 5000 RPMs will top out at 33.83424 MPH. Please do not consider my information as an endorsment to exceed the suggested speed of 25 MPH, but rather the difference between the 2 clutch sizes.
Please order the clutch from your local dealer or Whizzer USA [1-877-944-9937]

Whizzer OuterBanks LTD
A North Carolina Corporation
Quenton "Lee" Guenther
252-475-0406 cell
quincy163@yahoo.com

Thanks Quenton.

Hills aren't so much the issue - just starting on hills. My question is whether the auto clutch is a solution to the problem. I doubt it would be since I can control the slippage optimally with the manual clutch. More like too much gear for too little motor. Are there pulley options to reduce the gearing with the manual clutch?

The manual clutch is only available in one size. 127 MM X 90 MM. 127 MM = 5", 90 MM = 3.5433". The actual ratio [corrected] is 8.89 X 1. The uncorrected ratio is 8.46668 X 1. The corrected ratio on the 70 MM automatic is 11.43 X 1.
If you need more information, just ask. I am open 7 days a week if you need help or information.

Whizzer OuterBanks LTD
A North Carolina Corporation
Quenton "Lee" Guenther
252-475-0406 cell
quincy163@yahoo.com

I just sent you a PM with a possible solution to the problrm. Scroll to the end of the attached link and contact the person if needed.

Starting uphill

Hi there, well I most surely was confused! Why would you want to start the engine going up hill?

Why not go down hill to start and circle back up around?

I'm sure I do not understand this, but am willing to help if that were possible.

Mike

Mike,

Say I stop at a 4-way stop, I'm on an uphill, and I'm turning right onto an uphill. It's heavy, commuter traffic. The road after the stop is not only uphill but narrow so if I don't get going I'll be holding up a bunch of commuters. The speed limit is 35 which means if I could get up to near 30 in a reasonable time I wouldn't feel too bad.

The overall grade isn't steep. I could probably maintain over 20mph on it if I wasn't starting from a dead stop. It's steeper for the first little bit turning the corner.

Would an auto clutch allow me to get up to cruising speed significantly faster than mad peddling, revving, and squealing?

Back