Starting

D

davidsis

My bike takes about a full block of pedaling to get started is this normal?
When the engine is still hot it starts right back up, and is easy to start when it is cold. I am using a champion cj7y spark plug in it with a gap of .020 Like the smallest space on the little gradual ramp type guage. maybe even smaller. Maybe my magnito is week or something. The spark plug electrode is brown.

Using any choke? Mine needs choke on the first start, even in 90 degree weather. After the first start, no choke, no problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plug gap wants to be .025. Check your wiring connections too.

Wait... which is it? You say "My bike takes about a full block of pedaling to get started is this normal? When the engine is still hot it starts right back up, and is easy to start when it is cold."

Me coRnfewZled...

:)~

What I was trying to say is it starts good when cold and When hot. When it is warm is when I have the problems. Maybe a choke just not right. I will try the gap of .025 on the champion cj7y. I also have a splitfire but it looks like when you gap it those little prongs make it further away. Would the gap being too close not make good combustion, also when the magnito goes out does it go out all at once?

Hey motered bikers how about some tips on a quick start,I too am having some difficulty on the first start,and I choke and tickel.

When first breaking in a new motor is it supposed to start hard?

Ted

Hard start

If you have the original spark plug that came with it throw it away and get a Champion CJ7Y with gap of about .025 I think I figured mine out it was a mixture issue. It was too lean. I moved that little clip on the carb pin down a notch. Maybe being in Daytona Florida has something to do with it.

Sup?

I believe that spark plug (cj7) is too short for these motors. Try one that just reaches the bottom of the threads.:-/

Back