Engine Trouble Starts for a few seconds then dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man this is a tough one. In these situations it seems that you have done all the things I would have done. The spark is weak on the stock cdi's, but if you are seeing spark at the plug I think we can eliminate electrical. So now were at fuel, air, and compression. New bike so the filter is not clogged. We got air. Even if the head was warped I think it would start and run just poorly. So were stuck at fuel or air fuel mixture. My next move would be to check the needle to make sure I put the pac man clip back in properly holding the needle down in the barrel. Hit the tickler on the carb a few times watching for fuel movement in the line, and try to start it. If none of this worked I would take a look at the crank seals behind the small crank gear and magnet on the other side to see if they are popped out. Usually if there is a leak here there are some signs of fuel in the covers. It's stumping me so it must really be driving you nuts.

you're in a bad place for a new rider - I have a compression gauge and a CDI tester that can tell me a lot about a dead motor when it comes in for repair - sometimes when everything looks right, I know to just keep pedaling and it will eventually start

you might want to try loosening the muffler 1/8inch or so so you will certainly hear a pop if it tries to start, then put several drops of fuel in spark plug hole and new plug and see if it pops

I just learned two new trouble shooting methods. Thanks crassius sometimes the things that are right in front of my face are the hardest to see.

UPDATE:
Was going to call it quits for the day. All I did was put the muffler cap back on and then hit the tickler a bunch until fuel was dripping out of the idle screw. I had already done that before and checked for movement and it was fine. This time, I took it out and managed to get it to cough to life. I rode around the block, about a half mile. Ride was a little rough but fine. Got it back in the driveway and was letting it idle while I looked for a screwdriver to adjust idle speed (seemed to lose a lot of revs whenever I disengaged the clutch). It died while it was idling. When I went back out to get it started again, I had the same issue as before, going for a second then dying.

Your having fuel issues.... Somewhere From the tank to the cylinder your having a problem
(I know right? So specific.... Gotta love these things;))

I figured as much haha. I guess I'll have to look at the carb again. keep the suggestions coming!

Spark plug is a nice tan.
Just took the bike out again without changing anything. Ran well for about five minutes, then cut out, then started up again when I tried. Already a lot of oil in the exhaust. Is there anything that could be causing a rich condition? I have the clip set the one from the top, so I don't think moving it to the top notch will do much.

going bad when hot is either head gasket leak or stator coil.
plane your head truly flat using sandpaper on glass and make your own head gasket out of hi temp gasket material. throw that junk aluminum one away!
stator coil output can go bad when hot if the screw head to stator frame connection isn't clean metal to metal.
also stator winding can be broken but touching enough to conduct while cold but not when hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back