Staton 2 to 1 reduction friction drive

reb1

Local time
4:49 AM
I was looking over at the Staton site and noticed they have a new kit for the subaru and honda 32cc motors. It is a friction with two shafts. The motor turns an 11 tooth gear and the 1 3/4 friction wheel is turned by a 22 tooth gear with a chain between them. This gives a top end of 17mph and a cruising speed of 13.4mph.

Wow. They put it way down there at the end of the friction drive kits.
Too bad it isn't designed where you could have both a direct drive roller and a roller
at the 2:1 reduction and switch between them easily.

Last edited:
Other than very steep long grades with my grociers loaded in a cart I can pedal without a motor. I intend to use this for this purpose. I will pedal mostly with it off until I need it.

Here's the direct link.

Personally, I'd like to see this drive with two 1.25" rollers, and a 1:1 ratio between. That way, you could press both rollers against the rear wheel simultaneously, and improve torque transfer, even under wet road conditions.

The roller is a 1.34 inch not a 1 3/4. The newer rollers are slotted instead of knurled. I did ask Staton if he would set one up with a different roller and he emiled back he would not. I believe this will help because its speed is low enough I can help out with pedaling up a steep grade. I am picking up a yuba mundo cargo bicycle and do not want to loose the rear cargo area. I will mount it up front.

I like loquin's dual roller/same speed idea. It may result in longer tire life.

Two rollers sounds good but why hasen't somebody marketed it.

Look at the clutch/rollers on the DE simple simons, they look like the're 4in wide.

I thought they looked wide also. I purchased a Simple Simon setup by them last week and there is a drive arbor with a wood roller bolted on against it. The picture on the site looks like two pieces of wood one against the other. The width of the wood roller is the thickness of a 2X4 piece of lumber.

Back