Staton discussion:

It's not the more recent large Staton box they sell with the chain drive kit many of us have used. Rather it's a planetary gear speed reducer they still sell. Check their site and you will find it.
Per Bonefish's other post on the subject, this was an old, 6.something:1 gearbox. It's not a planetary gearbox, (and Staton's current gearboxes aren't planetary gearboxes, either)

Staton hasn't sold one of the failed gearboxes for YEARS. I don't ever remember even seeing this one there, and I started looking up stuff at his site in 2006/2007.

Last edited:
You are correct, loquin, it is not a planerary gear reducer. I don't know how I got the idea in my head that it was planetary. One good look shows it to be a simple two gear reduction box.

I've got a Staton 18.75:1 box with a 4.6 HP engine and over 2000 miles on it. I had about 1500 on it before the engine swap. Nary a problem.

Do you mind sharing why you upgraded to a larger engine? In VA I would have to register my trike as a "motorcycle" if I go over 50cc in engine size.

Do you mind sharing why you upgraded to a larger engine? In VA I would have to register my trike as a "motorcycle" if I go over 50cc in engine size.

I don't think his engine is bigger..... just puts out more power.

Staton Discussion

I personally drove over to David Stanton's shop in Oklahoma City 3 weeks ago and met with him and toured his facilities and the various bikes and products that he makes and sells. I was very impressed with his work and his creativity. I am still trying to decide which of his products I will purchase and mount on a bike. Once I determine the bike, that may decide which of his products I'll purchase. I'll most likely wait until I get home from Alaska so it will be a few months yet.

Wayne

Yeah, good luck with that, pal. JUst cuz it has a warranty don't mean he'll honor it.

This can happen with any product you purchase depending on circumstances. Very few warranties are absolute. I seldom choose a product based on its warranty. When I can I choose a product from someone I trust. I trust David Stanton.

I never buy on basis of warranty either; it's just a piece of paper. Staton has not
earned my trust.

The reason why this gearbox failed is because it was poorly engineered. It only had gear support bearings on one side of one of the gears. This caused the gearbox to malfunction prematurely. I have since moved on to the 5:1 pocket bike tranny that has support bearings on both sides of both gears in the gearbox thus no problems.

Back