Staton discussion:

Bonefish

Local time
8:50 AM
Pictures do not lie.

The only thing inside this gearbox that is still functional is the Chinese bearings that came with it. Everything else it toast. Ironic, you would think it would be the other way around.

Attachments

• DSC03870.jpg
    DSC03870.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 996
  • DSC03874.jpg
    DSC03874.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 916
  • DSC03885.jpg
    DSC03885.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 892
  • DSC03869.jpg
    DSC03869.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 882
  • DSC03902.jpg
    DSC03902.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 868
Those gears don't look too heavy-duty.:sick:

How much hp was your engine rated at?

Is that the 18.75:1 box, it doesn't look like mine, what caused the failure? Staton usually stands behind his products.

Staton warranties their gears for life. Return it to Staton and they will replace it. The only gears I've seen that torn up weren't properly heat treated, poorly made of too soft materials, badly misaligned within their case, used without proper lubrication, really old with many many years of use, or being asked to transmit way over their designed torque maximum limit. My opinion of Staton quality has been very high, this is troubling.

Last edited:
Wow, that's unusual for a Staton product. Looks like a batch of gears didn't harden properly or something.

I have relatives who have Staton products; so far, no breakage.

HOWEVER, one of my friends destroyed his intermediate gear in his Staton chain drive. It's been over a month, and he's STILL waiting for Staton to send the replacement part. I loaned my friend the gear from my chain drive, which isn't being used.

Here are some additional picts of this sTATON gearbox:

This gearbox didn't last as long as the China 68.5/80cc kit I had. Again everything inside stripped or broke except for the all of the bearings that are inside of it that are labeled China.

Check the engines mount 4 bolt holes distance from the clutch bell drum, then check the rubbing of the clutch bell drum on the gear casings inner shell. This shoddy construction is not worth your hard earned money. This gearboxes internal gears was louder than the stock 2 stroke engine that was attached to it. It is a crude and unrefined piece of junk.

Brass tax:

If you think the China 68.5/80cc kits are junk, and this sTATON gearbox didn't last as long as the China 68.5/80cc kit, I would save my money if I was you if you are considering this direction after a failed China 68.5/80cc kit.

Attachments

• DSC03924.jpg
    DSC03924.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 842
  • DSC03927.jpg
    DSC03927.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 780
  • DSC03932.jpg
    DSC03932.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 797
  • DSC03930.jpg
    DSC03930.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 768
  • DSC03925.jpg
    DSC03925.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 785
Hi Bone,

Did you talk to David Staton?
There is a lifetime guarantee if i'm not mistaken.
There is nothing but good reviews (except for initial gearbox noise) on his products.

Now, the warranty is null and void if you put a jet engine to his gearbox. :)

Every Staton product I have used has been of the highest quality. As I understand it, you bought this gear box used from someone who had used it on a go cart (and who knows what else) before you got it, then you had an incident that exerted such a heavy shock load on the drive train that it broke an engine case on a Honda engine the gear box was attached to. I can't believe the shock that would break an engine case would not also have damaged the gear box. I fear this gear box has been badly abused. Despite all that, if you return the gear box to Staton, I am sure he would replace it, if only to maintain his good customer relations and reputation.

Your condemnation of this Staton gear box should have noted that you bought it used and the incident that was so severe it broke the engine it was attached to. I find your negative comments without further explanation to be disingenuous.

I've got a Staton 18.75:1 box with a 4.6 HP engine and over 2000 miles on it. I had about 1500 on it before the engine swap. Nary a problem.

Back