Staton discussion:

I have the same Staton gearbox on my bike with over 1K miles on it without so much as skipping a beat. In my opinion the OP has severly abused this gearbox.
Odd he has not responded to questions on weather he contacted Staton directly.

It's not the more recent large Staton box they sell with the chain drive kit many of us have used. Rather it's a planetary gear speed reducer they still sell. Check their site and you will find it.

I'm sorry, but it looks like 'MotorBikeMike45" obviously doesn't know how to take care of a motorized gear box. IF (and that is a Big 'IF'), he really has one of Dave Staton's gear boxes, he has no idea how to connect or use it. Dave's quality, individually, machined stuff just does not disentigrate like those pictures. Mine, or anyone elses I know, sure as H*l* doesn't look like that!!! Dave makes quality products!

I think you should get on your knees and beg his help...he just might look at you with pity, and give you some assistance...no matter where you bought it.

Perhaps if you had actually read the original post, or at least most of the thread, you would know that Bonefish was the individual who thinks/posted that Staton=junk and I was one of the people here supporting Staton. I have used Staton's chain drive with a SR 33.5 on a full suspension mountain bike conversion. The gear box is bullit proof. You will find photos of this bike and several others on my profile.

Mike...Please accept my sincere apology to you. I know you are a staunch supporter of Dave Staton's products...that is why you would not say anything derogatory about his gear box. I certainly would not. Again, let me make ammends!!!

Buddy, we both know quality, and we both have found it...right?

No problem, Patrick. I lay the blame at the feet of the person who;

1. Failed to disclose that he bought the item in question used and perhaps abused.
2. Failed to disclose that, through his own mechanical incompetence, he had jammed-up the drive bad enough to break a quality Honda engine case, then just continued to use the box without further inspection.
3. Failed to check the used item when purchased by simply taking it apart and cleaning/inspecting/re-lubing it.
4. Bad mouthed a quality built item he (and others) had abused and misused to death.

It seems to me Bonefish inserted his foot deeply in his mouth without thinking or bothering to consult with anyone before foolishly dissing a product he knew almost nothing about. Perhaps a name change is called for. Bonehead might be more appropriate. Sorry, Bonefish, but Staton products are anything but junk. Any product, no matter how well made, can be ruined through misuse, stupidity, and incompetence.

Staton = Junk

Honestly,...I am so VERY sorry that my rant got directed toward the wrong person!!! I know that you are a staunch supporter of Dave Staton and his products, as they are sold here on the net. Please join me in a huge round of applause for the guy who works solo in KS, OK. I will be the first to stand up and say his milled products are #1. Anyone who wants to disagree, can stand up now, and take the lickin' that is coming to them!!!

Yes, good stuff as I have one as well. He's a wealth of knowledge and will spend a great deal of time talking with you so you buy the right stuff. Just placed another order with him yesterday. A++

It's unfortunate this thread title is so misleading and is left to linger as such.

Staton does NOT make junk, rather they make quality products.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back