Staton/GXH50 Chopper build

Quite so,raise the rear to get it level,maybe you could try to use the rear stay of the banana seat to mount the U bracket for forward aft stabilization, if it is solid enough.The torque reaction from the drive train will try to pivot the whole shebang towards the rear !

Yeah, I have it pretty much mounted now and have noticed it tends to be very wobbly from side to side. I haven't filled all the empty gaps of the bolts with nuts or spacers yet. That should help some, right?

picture.php

picture.php

Should I rotate the engine a little? I could either do that or raise the end of the gear box to keep my engine at vertical. How do I loosen the motor to rotate the gear box?

Paul

You need to get some sideways stiffness in there somehow.It's a long way to the mounting point way forward,a U bent plate bolted on would help,the tail is wagging the dog.

picture.php

I've been able to work out some of the lateral sway out of the back end but, it's definitely going to need some help! Also, looks like the chain clearance to the bracket is going to be too tight due to the angle of the gear box.

You can see from the picture that there's also a bolt that should clear once I turn it around down at the bottom. The chain angle is ~ 30*. Can I adjust gearbox to a 30* downward angle? How do you loosen the motor to rotate the gearbox?

I think that sissy bar is going to be my saving grace instead of my demise if I brace the extension bars to it. The metal is fairly thin though. I'm actually surprised at how they hold my weight at 215+ lbs. Any thoughts on how to strap, bolt, or affix the two together some how? I think that drilling straight throught the bar itself would sacrifice integrety too greatly. Don't say duct tape. Super glue, rubber bands, fixadent, whipped egg yolk? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Paul

reverse that bolt, so that the head is inside and the nut is out. i did them all that way, alittle less "stuff" back there and it's easier to see i fone is loose or missing.

i don't think you can rotate the engine , other than in 45* units. there are four bolt thru the gear box housing into the engine block.

steve

Get an L angle iron to clamp to the Sissy bar (small bolts + J B Weld?) bolt a plate solidly onto angle irons ,I don't know how much room you have vertically, remember that engine has to be fairly level.You may be in deep doudou or dudu or dudou, whatever

Last edited by a moderator:
sway

your extensions need a seperate bolt for each side of the U mount. Looks like there is a long bolt that goes through the U mount and the extensions. Looks like a lot of sway might be there. The U mount [in most cases]has the long bolt goes thru the u mount.eye bolt ,several spacers then thru the gear box and out the otherside----spacers,eye bolt and opposite end of the u mount then secured with nylock nut. With your present U mount/extension set up a bunch of spacers or a cut to fit piece of conduit or two seperate bolts to hold the extensions are needed to hold the extensions tight and firm against the U mount.
Another thought--------- Does the seat have to be as low as it is? If the seat were more level and a little bit higher you might be able to move the gear box several more inches forward under the rear of the seat

Back