Staton/honda50 or Dax/titan50????

strotter

Local time
7:00 PM
A friend of mine asked me to build him a MB. I currently have 3 MB bikes. One of them is a Staton/honda50 friction drive. I am very happy with it. I went to order one and Staton wants $629..... ouch!!! I don't remember paying that much. One of my other bikes has a Titan50 motor. In my opinion the Honda gets a 10 and the Titan gets a 8.5 in terms of over performance and quality. Dax is selling a Titan50 with friction kit for $300.

So, here are my questions:
1. Is the Staton/honda50 set up twice as good as the Dax/Titan50 setup?
2. Are there any concerns out there with the Dax/titan50 setup??

Before any of you out there recomend something different; here is my criteria
50cc 4 stroke and friction drive

Part of the issue is that the Honda 50 has a shaft output, not the standard 78mm centrifugal clutch that Staton's FD was designed around.

So, to convert the (apx) 5/8 inch shaft to the clutch bell for the FD, you have a machined adapter, a "heavy duty" clutch, shortening the engine shaft down and machining/tapping a hole in the end of the shortened shaft.

(The same adaptation has to be done for adapting the Honda 50 to ANY drive that needs the motor to have the 78mm clutch...)

My Staton Robin Subaru Friction Drive Rocks
Very please with it. Power is great and Reliability is the most important

Dave

I'll second the kudos on the staton r/s fd kit it rocks. DAXs titan fd kit rocks too. Use to be DAXs kits youd save a few bucks on but now its comparable to statons in price. To me the honda 50 is the caddy of MAB motors but its pricey by the time your riding it.

Back