Staton hot rod?

ampliflyer

Local time
5:54 AM
I have about 120 miles on my staton gear and chain setup and I absolutely love it.

I have a 6.3 mile each way commute and as long as the rain isnt fallin' I am on it.
I have the RS 35 4 cycle and it is perfect for my thru town trip.

That said, I am a chronic tinker-a-holic and I can never leave well enough alone.

In the corner of my shop I have a "hot rod" 2 stroke that is bad to the bone the clutch and mounting holes are the same as the RS so it looks like it will bolt right up.

It has a big bore kit large carb and pipe....it probably develops 5hp or so.

On my staton setup I have the heavy duty 12 gauge spokes and the mount itself feels rock solid.

My question to you experienced folks is: if I swap the 1.6hp motor out for the 5+hp motor will the hub/spoke hold up or will this just be a spoke breaker?

My question to you experienced folks is: if I swap the 1.6hp motor out for the 5+hp motor will the hub/spoke hold up or will this just be a spoke breaker?[/QUOTE]

Possibly -- if you truly realize what you are dealing with here -- ridden VERY EASY -- you may be able to make the switch without major changes to drive train ect.. Remembering at all times -- you have more than enough torque to rip it to pieces... My son (33 yrs old) as proven in the past -- would have that thing torn up IN NO TIME !!! I love that boy !!! Happy Riding from - Mountainman

My 4.2 hp won't hurt my Staton at all. Once, while working on my muffler, I started the engine not realizing it was stuck at WOT. When the engine caught, it screamed to 11k, pulled from my grasp, shot across the basement and hit the wall. The impact was hard enough to bend the forward 3/8" mounting bolt on the gear box. I did have to replace that bolt and two spokes but that was all. I don't think 10 hp would break this setup.

I am planning on doing just that when I get the money together. Please do it and let us know how it works out. And yes, pics are always welcomed. :)

-Jesse

Remember,Bicycles wheels don't just get out of round and wobble---they bend in half all of a sudden!(in turns!)

Back