staton-inc engine

USX trike not for utility use

this trike was not designed for real use....just over wieght rec use.

the only way to add a gas motor to this trike and keep the large or larger box is to leingthen the frame and turn the motor around so it will be on the forward side of the rear axils. But first I need to find that left side rear axil that staton made for this trike. or go to a machine shop....

it is looking more and more like I should build a better trike. like the leaning trike.....even if it takes years. the sure is a nice looking engine thats on the leaning trike. http://motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=19669

ok jawnn, have you seen this setup its friction drive i know but it will give you an idea of the size of equipment needed on the trikes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Obsci20kc

this is also a shot of the rear of my wifes trike delta version but the rear ends are similar,

engine, battery pack and trailer hitch...

http://www.motoredbikes.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12126&d=1224623803

Yes i would agree these trikes are not really for hard core commuting just puttering around the neighborhood on short trips...

Did you look at alaskavans trike the tadpole might be the easiest and most practicable to use for commuting and the actual tadpole came in around $1000.. new

the only friction drive I would consider is a cvt, ( need to see photo), and still do not know if it will work in the rain.

one thing I thought of last nite was, I NEED A LINK TO A MOTOR THAT HAS THE DRIVE SHAFT ON THE OPPOSIT SIDE THAn USUAL, or one that will turn in 'counter clock wise'? I want to center the engine on the frame.... and it may need to be a two stroke so it won't have to be ballanced? no oil to ballance?.... oh ya I don't know what I'm doing.... surly there must be a simple ....no not possalbe....ok ok going insane need sleep' no more coffie.

well people tell me I should just forget gasoline and use electric, but I'm not getting much help in that relm,,,, and it may not work any how.???? so if this can o'worms continues to sour I may just give up and put a hub motor on the front and be realy po'd when its spins on wet asphalt.

so at this point I need to a link to where I can buy the left side rear axil in this picture http://www.motoredbikes.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12126&d=1224623803 that looks like its run on electric and gasoline?

how can this be so difficult? my brain? oh ya.... more photos to give me ideas please????

Last edited:
I don't know about gas and electric on that link - all I see is the gas - a dimension edge friction drive.

The 4 stroke engines we're talking about use less than a quart of oil, and have more torque than 2-strokes.

the CVT isn't a friction drive. It's a chain drive.

A gas chain drive system is going to weigh in the neighborhood of 25 pounds. It's NOT going to raise the front wheel off the ground, even if it were mounted behind the cargo box.

Is there ANY way you could shift the pedals and seat forwards about 6 inches? That might do the trick, if you rework the seat back support (sketch below.)

Is there any way for you to either cut the height of the cargo box in half & put the motor under it?
Possible add a pair of panier type cargo boxes on either side of the main box... (sketch 2)

Also, could you post some photos of the bike? It would give us a better idea of what you're dealing with.

Attachments

• Seat Support.JPG
    Seat Support.JPG
    7.1 KB · Views: 340
  • Rear Arrangement.JPG
    Rear Arrangement.JPG
    6.2 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
ok jawnn,

the rear of the wifes trike holds a friction drive over the right wheel and the batteries are for a mid mount motor connecting with the normal chain drive midway between pedals and seat.

The left axle is the normal sproket that came with the kit.

Have a look at aero goblins post wher he had a axle machined to his specfic needs.

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=16012

Staton's chain gearbox sets the engine on the right side. Its gearbox will center the engine onto the rear.

You really NEED the NuVinci hub for this application.

To offset the front end popping up, you can add a basket or a front engine drive...or both.

I've got the notion that what you're asking to build is impossible, due to your constraints. :giggle:

You're asking to build what even a normal moped might not be able to accomplish.

You need a motorcycle if you weigh 400lbs.

How much $$ are you willing to spend on this project? Remember, the less you are capable of doing yourself, the more it costs to build.

Are you trying to build this because your license was suspended?

Last edited by a moderator:
electric motors

ok I am finnished with the idea of trying to use gasoline motors.

I have been talking to EV people and it may be very complex but it will just have to do.

lithium ion batterys need electronic protection and I need a 48 volt one thousand watt....it may be 100 lbs or more and I will end up with a 250 lb machine, but at least I won't kill my self on the hills.

so this is the only thing I need to tie into the rear axil? http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=3247 but what is the max size of sprokets available???? and where can I get them????]

wish the an EV expert would tell me every thing I need.

Last edited by a moderator:
It uses standard, BMX freewheel sprockets. These sprockets range from 16T up to about 23T or so.

Staton-inc sells them, so do most bicycle parts vendors. You can find them on EBay all the time.

I still think that it could be done with a gas engine.

axil

The adaptor that I need is for the .785" axil that comes with the trike, so alll I need to do is buy another right side (drive side) axil and adaptor, and install them on the left side.

I just can't under stand why people do not see that there is too much weight on the rear to add another 30 to 50 lbs hanging off the rear and still have a cargo box as big as I need.

....I suspect that no one here lives with out a car.....I wish I had known that I was going to need a motor on this trike....I would not have payed for it.

Back