Staton-inc. friction drive kit, with a 1-1/8 drive roller, for a 240 lb. rider?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chad

Local time
9:11 AM
Need the opinion of a Staton-inc. friction drive owner.

I just received a Staton-Inc. friction drive kit, and I am installing a Honda GX35 on the kit. I was hoping someone with the same Stanton/motor combo would give me their opinion. Once I install it, I will not be able to exchange it, and I heard switching the rollers is very hard to do.

The friction drive kit came with a 1-1/8 sized drive roller installed. I weigh 240 lbs. and live in a very flat area with no hills.

Do you think the 1-1/8 sized drive roller work well with a 240 lb. rider, or should I change to the .930 sized roller?

Thanks,
Chad.

Last edited:
I've got a 1 1/8" roller on my Staton-Honda GX35 on a 1981 Schwinn Cruiser 5 and it takes my 190 pounds up to 25 mph; previously I had a 7/8" roller on the same bike and it did 20 mph. Bulletproof performance for almost five years.

Sorry to bother you,

Do you think that your bike with the 1-1/8 roller, would move around a 240 lb. rider, without bogging down the engine?

Thanks for your time,
Chad.

Do you think the 1-1/8 sized drive roller work well with a 240 lb. rider, or should I change to the .930 sized roller?

It will work but the question is how much do you expect to pedal? If you're looking for motor scooter type performance with no pedaling, then the whole concept of motor assisted bicycles comes into question.

I heard switching the rollers is very hard to do.

That is a myth perpetrated by one user from years ago but it sure get repeated over and over.

I had no problem changing from the 7/8" to the 1 1/8" (used a large socket to press out the bearing with my bench vice). Larger rollers might be a problem to install.

Howdy,
I would consider the smaller one, there are times when you're gonna be tired, you can tell the engine is bogging, and then you get a headwind and just have to really pedal or throttle off.With the 1" you can putt putt, just no-pedal ride and get a little strength back while waiting for the wind to die off.
Or just use the heck out of your gears and spin up.

It should be fine. I've got a 1-1/8 roller with a Mitsu TLE43, and I tip the scales at over 300 pounds. My rig can push me along at 28 MPH.

I am in a flat area also; if I were in the hills, I would go with a 1 inch or smaller roller, though.

As far as changing rollers - As I understand it, it's the big rollers that are a real challenge to change (1-3/8 or 1-1/2.)

I agree with Loquin, provisionly. 35cc and up should be fine unless you plan to go up
the foothills. I don't know what engine you're running, but, on the rare dry days when
I can run friction, a larger roller seems to grip better than a small one. Personally I
think 7/8" is worthless no matter how big you are.

Update: Friction drive with a 1 1/8 roller, with a Honda GX35, and a 240 lb. rider.

I just took my first test ride, and I think the 1 1/8 roller was a good choice for me, and my terrain. (especially with the 4 stroke engine.)

I heard that 4 strokes are not meant to be run at high rpm's for an extended time. With the 1 1/8 roller I can run the engine at low rpm's and still get high speeds. I do have to pedal a lot to get going, but once I get going I go, and I dont have to pedal any more. And its much faster than I thought it would be.

The whole ride was kinda strange for me. I have an electric e-zip bike, and with the electric bike, I can not ride at high speeds, because the battery will run out real quick, and my range was very limited. But with this gas engine I can go around 20mph for huge distances.

And also with the electric bike I had to carry batteries back and forth to the charger, and I had to connect and disconnect, its a pain in the butt. (though I heard the new lipo batteries are much, much better, just very expensive.)

But for me, no more riding at 5 mph to conserve batteries, no more carrying and charging heavy batteries. Now I pull a string and go fast, and I just keep going and going. Maybe tomorrow I will fully realize, that I don't have go slow, and I dont have to worry about battery charge levels. No telling were I may end up.

Thanks for all your help,
Chad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back