Staton-Inc friction drive review at 50 miles

T

TWalker

It gets a good thumbs up except for 2 things:

1. The low oil shut off had to be disabled becuase it it shut down the engine on bumps.
2. It does not freewheel down hills, Staton didn't tell me that but some members here made that claim! It will start freewheeling at between 10-15 MPH when the clutch disnegages. Rolling down long hills at speed the clutch is still engaged and rolls nicely but dont mistake that for freewheeling, the engine is engaged and turning and creating a pull until the clutch disengages.

I was little dissapointed it didnt come with a kill switch and I think it would be good to show pictures of EXACTLY what comes with the kit.

But Kudos to Staton on a very fine piece of machinery overall.

Below is what I posted in another thread about my positive experience with Staton.
I got my Staton friction last week fairly quickly I think around 9 days. Its been on 2 bikes so far and more to come, thats why I bought the friction kit. I logged maybe 50 miles so far and it is outstanding, the friction part that is. The motor wouldnt stay running due a low oil shut off problem on the Honda.

I live in in the mountains where there are nothing but hills and mountains and it performed well except in wet conditions of course. I took it up what we call the Swiss Chalet mountain pass yesterday and it made with some pedaling. Half way up it started raining near the top it started slipping on the Kenda Flame tire. But of course this about a 2 mile steep grade in the Rocky Mountains so I was impressed I finally got to ride up it.

people always ask: will these things make it up Swiss Chalet pass? My answer now: Yes even with friction drive.

In dry conditions the Honda GXH50 will bog down before it slips, then its pedal time.

Yes friction drive works pretty well but it wont be long now before I move on to gear/chain and Nuvinci transmission/hub. I need to sell my motorcycle and then it's off to the big time.

sooooo...

so what is the best technique for coming off a monster hill with a friction drive? I have some pretty good hills in my neighborhood, and I probably need to know what to expect. No surprises!

"It's not very practical, but at least it's very dangerous."

Don

Theoretically, dropping the engine to idle and allowing the clutch to disengage, you should be able to coast down the hill with no problems. That, however, has never been the case with me. When I've tried it, the clutch has re-engaged when I'm running really fast, faster than the engine will pull me, causing the engine to rev very high. Don't know what causes it but it has happened on several occasions. If you keep your speed down, it probably won't be a problem but I like to shoot for 45 or 50 if there is enough hill, what a rush. Just raise the roller and go for broke. Me, I switched to a chain drive, now I freewheel all the time with no worry.

for the monster hills
I lift the roller
turn my engine off or we can leave it on
and go for it !!!

ever since my engine engaged while coming down large hill
revved the heck out of it
to be safe - I lift the roller...

I live up a very large hill -- top of a mountain -- 5 mile drop
no need for a motor going down that thing
it's every thing I can do - to stay to the right side of road !!!

Happy Riding from - Mountainman

it is not good to go downhill with the throttle off and coasting because it leans the engine from loss of lubrication in fuel mix. it can melt your piston and scour your barrel.

it is not good to go downhill with the throttle off and coasting because it leans the engine from loss of lubrication in fuel mix. it can melt your piston and scour your barrel.

Surely not in a honda GX? Down a steep hill I often give it a small bit of throttle for 2 seconds for the clutch to engage, then let off and use the engine braking to slow me down

Back