Sidewinder Jerry

Local time
9:28 PM
20210208_172601.jpg

20210208_173805.jpg

CrazyDan

Local time
6:28 PM
Good stuff, just make sure you ghost pedal into the next gear to prevent the engine slamming it. I lost gears slamming it from practice to race day and had to swap cassettes and chain the first time I raced. Using the engine to shift between gears is tricky with external bicycle gearing, and they always get that extra wear no matter what from misalignment.
I've since moved to IGHs. As long as you treat them right the chains and sprockets last just as long as a single speed's does. The planetary gears need to be watched though. If one gear goes, it might chew them all up.

Sidewinder Jerry

Local time
9:28 PM
View attachment 103480
Good stuff, just make sure you ghost pedal into the next gear to prevent the engine slamming it. I lost gears slamming it from practice to race day and had to swap cassettes and chain the first time I raced. Using the engine to shift between gears is tricky with external bicycle gearing, and they always get that extra wear no matter what from misalignment.
I've since moved to IGHs. As long as you treat them right the chains and sprockets last just as long as a single speed's does. The planetary gears need to be watched though. If one gear goes, it might chew them all up.
I'll defiantly have to get use to it since the last bike I had shifted 7 gears automatically.

I use only steel chainrings. There's going to be less wear on my setup with the 3×7 than there would be on a 1×7. This is due to how I'll be shifting. With the system I'll be using cross chaining will be eliminated. The system has 9 non redundant gear ratios

1(1-3) climbing and pulling

2(3-5) general use

3(5-7) open road

Using a custom made 7 speed freewheel
(34,28,24,21,18,15,13). Will be doing a tread on the freewheel soon. Chainrings are 28,36,44.

I use a tach to shift by and use 1(1) for starts up steep hills; all other starts I'll be using 2(3).

Hope to have a video on the shifting style very soon.