Steel vs Aluminum

I'm working with steel frames at the moment, but most Alloy frames I have checked out are good and can't wait to build on Allloy.

Bike shops are in buisness and are not going to endorse motoredbikes, we are on our own. We can survive in the long run with low profit and high turn-over.
They are in established networks or franchise and work on exploiting demand.
Which makes it unafordable to many commuters, so we motorbike it !
What other choice is there ?

I have yet to build by first moto bicycle.

But the next bicycle will most likely be a steel-framed bicycle. A real work horse. One with the modified rear sprocket kit. Solid aluminum mag rims instead of wire spoke rims. Something that can keep taking pot holes and hard bumps in the road.

My first build is going to be a Kulana Moondog, just like Alan's. And the welds on that bike do look a little bit dodgy. So my next bicycle is going to be a nice old mule. I keep finding those old steel frame bikes at the Goodwill store for $10 to $15 all the time.

If you have or know somebody that has an aluminum welder, and if you need to put a hole in aluminum you can drill the hole through the frame and then install an aluminum threaded stud in the hole and weld it in place. Doint that way you'll have a good purchase without taking the chance of crushing the frame tube.

Back