Steerer tube 1 1/8 to 1 inch conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

willis617

Local time
2:04 PM
I removed the press fit 1 1/8 steerer tube from these old Marzocchi Bomber forks, and replaced them with a 1 in threadless tube that i made. Installed on my Columbia Klunker with an inexpensive headset bought on Amazon.
20181213_110817.jpg
20181213_123159.jpg
20181213_132022.jpg

No miles on fork yet, but i don't anticipate any problems.

I thought abt something like this, but decided it's adding more build to my plan for some good forks when it's gonna be a mediocre bike anyway so decided I better start with a frame that's 1 1/8 steerer.
mad props to you for plugging thru it! keep us posted

willis617 Well done. Can you share all dimensions of new 1 in threadless tube, material, how did you make it ....?
Thanks in advance!

Good job on the fork! I would imagine your goal was to convert to threadless for cost effective head set options.

All of the cheap cruisers have 1” threaded forks. The shock forks that come in 1” are limited and usually not worth switching to.

I have 1” threaded forks and keep looking for a way to get a decent set of shocks on my bike. When I look at the work and cost I end up thinking a new frame would be less work and probably more cost effective to get shocks on the front worth having.

A good set of front shock would go a long way in improving the ride of these motorized bicycles even with the hard tail.

Once you get the speed up on these bikes the ride becomes a limiting factor when you consider safety.

It is.. it’s still a topic that could use more light.
I kind of went off topic with my idea but the general 1” … 1 1/8” … threaded… threadless is a bit of confusion for many.

I know the topic is more than 4 years old but I hope the author will reply.

My goal is to change 1 1/8" threadless steerer tube of an old Rockshox forks with 1" threaded tube because all of 1" threaded suspension forks on the market are just Chinese...
In my opinion all old Rockshox forks are better than Chinese one...
So I need of all dimensions for 1" steerer tube to be fitted on 1 1/8" Rockshox forks. Also I need to know the material of the tube and some advice how to make it...

I know the topic is more than 4 years old but I hope the author will reply.
He probably will not since he was Last seen Dec 16, 2020 You find that out by placing the mouse cursor over the avatar.

Also you decided to ignore the RED LETTERED warning to not bring back from the dead, a thread that hasn't had a reply in 3 years or more.

This one will have been four years since last reply this coming December.

For this reason, I am now locking this thread so as not to allow it to play "Lazarus" on us.

If you need further help, start your very own NEW thread for better results...DAMIEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back