Steve got a new job

Steve Best

Local time
3:06 PM
Hey guys, I didn't know where to put this, but "introductions" sounded better than "off-topic".
It is kinda "on-topic" where I got into these engines to learn. I've been offered a position at a local Community College to teach Industrial Mechanics to 2nd and 3rd year students. Only a term position, but great to see if I like it and it likes me.

It's been rather sudden. I've done well at my present job greatly expanding our mechanical contracting company over the past two years. The company secure, I was looking for more challenge, more pay. I put in my notice for January last week. Put my resume in to several agencies and posted it on-line, got a few offers. Over the weekend someone mentioned the college was looking for a teacher, I send a resume. Today I got the word they want me to start Monday. My head is spinning.

It is less pay than I can make in industry, but also less stress. I also feel it is more important. I've mentioned before that I believe lifelong learning and new experience is the root of true happiness. I also strongly believe that our worth to humanity is not what we accumulate, but what we give to others. We are a bit of a "have-not" area of the country and industry is key to keeping people here. Hopefully I can contribute to that.

(grammar errors are on purpose)

Passing on skills and knowledge to others is certainly very rewarding and worthwhile, and getting paid for it is awesomeness. :) I am sure you're going to be very good at it, too! :)

Steve, I am taking a few classes at my local college on tool and diemaking and CNC. You see a lot of young kids in there. The instructors here know that you not only teach technical skills but also life and problem solving (indirectly and subtlety; it is part of overarching school's philosophy). Furthermore, the school also shapes the young kids and other folks in becoming productive and caring (a teaching trade) members of society.

I think if you don't mind me saying this is a great direction for you. Though it is reduced pay, there is lasting contribution here in shaping the lives of young students to not only be the best at a trade but also be good people. I've also seen part time instructors who only teach one course a week and are still in the trade. So if you wanted the best of both worlds maybe something can be arranged down the line. Good luck on your new position.

Last edited:
We all know you will be great at it. I'm sure it will be quite rewarding to know you have passed on your knowledge and problem solving skills to who knows how many future generations. Most of us can look back to someone who has made a lasting impression in how we look at things. This puts you in a unique position.

Hey guys, I didn't know where to put this, but "introductions" sounded better than "off-topic".
It is kinda "on-topic" where I got into these engines to learn. I've been offered a position at a local Community College to teach Industrial Mechanics to 2nd and 3rd year students. Only a term position, but great to see if I like it and it likes me.

It's been rather sudden. I've done well at my present job greatly expanding our mechanical contracting company over the past two years. The company secure, I was looking for more challenge, more pay. I put in my notice for January last week. Put my resume in to several agencies and posted it on-line, got a few offers. Over the weekend someone mentioned the college was looking for a teacher, I send a resume. Today I got the word they want me to start Monday. My head is spinning.

It is less pay than I can make in industry, but also less stress. I also feel it is more important. I've mentioned before that I believe lifelong learning and new experience is the root of true happiness. I also strongly believe that our worth to humanity is not what we accumulate, but what we give to others. We are a bit of a "have-not" area of the country and industry is key to keeping people here. Hopefully I can contribute to that.

(grammar errors are on purpose)
Congrats! Hope you enjoy it, sounds like a great change of pace.

Thanks guys.
Yes, I think back on my machine shop teacher who inspired us that a trade is more than just a way to make money.
He actively encouraged us to work on home projects and unlocked the shop an hour early for us each morning.
Imagine a teenager arriving an hour early for school!

Steve, I am taking a few classes at my local college on tool and diemaking and CNC. You see a lot of young kids in there. The instructors here know that you not only teach technical skills but also life and problem solving (indirectly and subtlety; it is part of overarching school's philosophy). Furthermore, the school also shapes the young kids and other folks in becoming productive and caring (a teaching trade) members of society.

I think if you don't mind me saying this is a great direction for you. Though it is reduced pay, there is lasting contribution here in shaping the lives of young students to not only be the best at a trade but also be good people. I've also seen part time instructors who only teach one course a week and are still in the trade. So if you wanted the best of both worlds maybe something can be arranged down the line. Good luck on your new position.
Didn't know you were interested, you can access my machineshop when ever you want. No CNC here, but what you learn by hand applies to automation by learning speeds and feeds. Geometry and physics are the same.

It's been 6 months now. Received 3 extensions on the original contract. I'll be here for another year at least. I am loving it. Meet all kinds here, most are wonderful people. When I teach about engines I mention about what I learned from these little gems and you folks. Life is a wonderful journey.

Back