sticky throttle

E

elwood

the brass piece inside the carb is very very tight and the spring isnt pushing it back down this caused the throttle to jam launching my like a rocket ship, its really tight, any ideas why?
thanx

Are you sure the cable isn't the problem? First I would take the cable out of the throttle slide and see if it moves freely. If it doesn't I would look for a burr on the surface of the slide.

Moth

Sometimes the slides in these carb are too tight and stick....remove the slide from the carb and make a "tube" of paper. Use some 400 wet or dry sand paper and water and sand the slide a little, clean it off, then test fit it. I won't take much, so don't get carried away. sand a little, test, sand a little, test.

Yeah, sand it down lightly and refit, inspect it visually, if u can see dings or dents in the brass, sand those down, same problem happened to me. Also lube the cable inside its sheath if you have it making some tight bends.

Sticking slide

Just a quick comment on sticking carby slide...... The metal that the carby is cast with is very soft and by over tentioning the screw top that holds the throtle cable can cause the slide chamber to close up and jam the slide..... Also over tentioning the carby mounting screw can cause distortion and jam the slide as well..... I have had this problem on one of my engines...

Regards Al

I just called my sticky throttle "Cruise Control". I could go WOT and then ride up the street with no hands. Then I really got some looks.

Tom said:
I just called my sticky throttle "Cruise Control". I could go WOT and then ride up the street with no hands. Then I really got some looks.

HAHAHAH! Nice. I got looks, but for different reasons.

I have a fear of internal combustion engines (don't laugh), and when my throttle stuck, I completely freaked out. Jumped off my bike and watched it ram a parked car and die off after 10 minutes. Everyone in the party accross the street had to laugh at the guy who fell off his bike screaming "OH MY F****ING GOD ITS ALIVE!"

:(

JosephGarcia said:
Tom said:

HAHAHAH! Nice. I got looks, but for different reasons.

I have a fear of internal combustion engines (don't laugh), and when my throttle stuck, I completely freaked out. Jumped off my bike and watched it ram a parked car and die off after 10 minutes. Everyone in the party accross the street had to laugh at the guy who fell off his bike screaming "OH MY F****ING GOD ITS ALIVE!"
:(

:LOL: :LOL:
I had the same problem, I sanded the brass cylinder inside a tube of wet/dry sandpaper.
I did this a few times, a little at a time, till it slid smoothly

ok i tried sanding it, cleaning it, everything, still sticks,
bought new cables, new throttle, i think the carb is bust.
now looking for a doner carb or someone who can send me a quote for one plus shiping to uk. thnx

Back