Stihl ts400 take 2

There is one glaring problem that I see right off the bat !!!...Your work bench area is entirely Waaaay too clean and tidy to be of any use whatsoever...lol...lol...lol.

Looks like an incorrigible neat freak is at fault here...lol.
Yup ... neat freak ... Lol

IMG_20220725_092616.jpg

I have no idea. I ran a Still 760 when is was 19yr old. Seemed like a good idea for a bike swap. I started a concrete biz in the late 90's. Had a 760 and 340. The 340 had a 12" blade and used it for steel, the 760 was a 16" blade and paid $290 in 1999 for a diamond impregnated cut off.

...sorry. The 760 had a diamond wheel on it. It cost $290 in 1999. At the time OSHA started clamping down on scaffold boards. Mine were 2x12 pine, but they started making everyone go to 18 ply beams. It was $3 vs $24 for a 2"x10"....again in 1999

The reason I asked is because you could have a drop on fit Minarelli type top end and avoid the fill-weld-drill-tap cases. It’s just about as easy as replacing a stock top end. And those engines are pretty bad players.
I can understand if there’s a sentimental connection to the saw type cylinder but, if it’s just some power and speed you’re after the Minarelli type cylinders are much easier to fit. You do have to balance and true the crank and weld to fit the correct exhaust but that holds true for a saw engine too.

I've looked at them, but already have/had the parts laying around. I built that motor about a year ago, hadn't really put a lot of research into it aside from wrist pin diameter and stroke - just to tinker, really. Once it ran that good, I wanted to try it on a bike.

I didn't know about Minarelli until signing up here.

Are the saw top ends more powerful than the Minarelli top ends?
My spin on it is the bigger saw top ends have more power than a Mina. The little Mina is only 47mm/70cc. The saw conversions are generally 50mm+. Brutish power. However the Mina is a high rpm spinner and can easily reach the general speeds of the saw conversions. The plus side of the Mina, at least regarding the top end, is that is is nicely. developed by well renown manufactures. It is nicely tractable and smooth running wise thru out is operating range.
A real pleasure to ride and quick to boot. Also mine have been pretty flawless as far as durability. One tank on 40:1 and then on to 50:1. Once its sorted it stays that way. Just ride it.
This doesnt mean Im not tempted to get a Phantom, as soon as some money shakes loose, especially at the price. But Im glad I built the Mina first!

Its what ever floats your boat, problem is I try to float em all!

This piston is 49mm, making the engine a true 75cc.

The other part of the equation is price. The ts400 top ends are dirt cheap ($22): LINK

I had no idea if it would work since the CG stroke is 6mm more - hence the ~5mm spacer. Figured the port timing my be all wonky, but it fired right up and ran well.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Are the saw top ends more powerful than the Minarelli top ends?
I think the Saw top ends, especially the bigger Stihls, are going to win the power argument in regards to low end grunt though while the Minarelli will win the top end hp/rpm game. The way most of the transfers function on saw cylinders creates one heck of a fast and turbulent intake "blast" when the transfers open. It's impressive just how hard they pull down low.

Back