still cant figure out the specs on my motor

The only other numbers/jargon ive found are:
phelon 12
us pat 3828426
and 227

all of these are on the magneto wheel (i guess its called). thats all i found, unless i need to tear it apart more to find more numbers.

Well sears parts dept. was useless. Way too old of a machine for their records. But I may have figured out the cc's myself. I thought the 2.0 on the saw was for hp, but apparently its for cu in. Duh. So that equates to aboot 32cc's. The guy said he would have no way of finding the peak rpms. So I don't know what to do now. Guess? Think 13000 sounds good? I mean, what would you fellas do at this point?

Assuming its a two stroke and given the application I would guess its more like 8000rpm than 13000 although with carb and pipe mods and various other modifications you might be able to get 13krpm out of it.

if you can get the engine set up and running in a bench mount you might be able to beg/borrow one of those little sight rev meters used in model aircraft which would give you the rpms of the motor..

Otherwise the manufacturer would be the place to try. Engines *will* have a number or code on them somewhere that you could use..

beyond that its the local small small engine repair shop - they tend to have more knowledge of unusual or old machines. Dont take it to a large place, they'll just look at you as if you have two heads - a small local place might help you though..

good luck

Jemma xx

Phelon is the manufacturer by the look of it (looked up the name on the web).

Which would make it a Phelon Model 12 - whether that refers to the engine as a whole or the magneto model I dont know - it looks like the magneto from what I have read.

It might be a Ryobi engine from what I have found on some of the r/c aircraft forums... and on that it is giving top rpms on a 31cc engine as 6800rpm.

hope that helped

Jemma xx

Okay folks. Now I just wanna run my gearing setup by yinz to see if you approve. So...
32cc 2stroke, 6800rpm, 26" tire
270lbs rider with hilly terrain.
Now looking at this, I decided I would want gearing of about 33:1, which would take me to almost 16mph, which just isn't fast enough. So, using a parts bike, I was going to make the jackshaft with multiple gears on BOTH sides of the shaft. I'll put the front deraillur and gearing on one side (driven by motor), and the rear deraillur and freewheel on the other (sending power to wheel) for 18 speeds on the jackshaft.
See,for hills, I'll have a 6t on the engine, then a 50t (biggest sprocket of the three) on the one side of the js, then a 14t (smallest of the 6) on the freewheel, back to a 56t on a ht sprocket mount. Then for max speed I could shift gears all the way to 6->28(smallest)->28(biggest)->56. Do you kinda see it? Its like riding three bikes at the same time. The only thing I'm hung up on is the freewheel will be going backwards (freewheeling) with my driveline setup (i want to use my parts bike rear hub assy as my jackshaft, leaving the rear gears on one side of the wheel and adding the front gears to the other), so I'll have to see if I can flip the freewheel on the hub so it can go the other way, if its possible. Might be easier to just do without the freewheel and make it stationary on the axle. So, any more insight? If you need me to draw pictures I'm pretty good at that. Thanks so much for the help thus far. I wouldnt have even attempted this proj if it werent for this forum.

I know I don't NEED 18 speeds, but I liked that I could go from a 36:1 to a 9.33:1 ratio, so there would be no problem on any hill, and I could zip around 56.4mph on my suspensionless bike if I wanted. I would probably pick my favorite gear on the 6 sprocket set and then just shift the big 3 sprocket derailuer for most situations.

And I have studied the Two Speed Staton, part of the inspiration for my project in fact.

I think I'll run my setup as described, except I'll make it a front wheel drive. That way I can mount my wheel sprocket on the RIGHT side, which would eliminate my freewheel issues. If it works, I'll step up to a full suspension bike, but this will be a prototype.

Thanks for your help, Lou.

Back