Stinger Length?

I want the adjustable magnet but I am done ordering from Douchebag Motor Sports and they are the only ones I've seen that have them.

An old guy that owns the mower shop down the road said they used to use a stepped bit and drill out the magnets hole in a conical shape.
Then he said they just used a compression fitting that was the right size and torqued it al down.

I went ahead and got the already 12 degree advanced one from them, on the way it say :sick:

If al it gives is top end, then i realy don't want it :D

An old guy that owns the mower shop down the road said they used to use a stepped bit and drill out the magnets hole in a conical shape.
Then he said they just used a compression fitting that was the right size and torqued it al down.

I went ahead and got the already 12 degree advanced one from them, on the way it say :sick:

If al it gives is top end, then i realy don't want it :D
Should be the other way around. Ignition occurs earlier at higher RPM and later at lower RPM, and it is suggested that it should occur later at very high RPM to allow the piston to start the down stroke before the moment of peak combustion pressure.
Our stock CDIs just advance and never retard above the mid RPM as it is suggested they ought to.

By retarding the ignition on the old engines we were reducing the vibration at high RPM and accidentally making it very eary to start the engine at a very low speed, but at the expense of having fewer degrees where the pressure can do work, until up to (~4k in my case) speed.

There's a limited number of degrees that the pressure can do work before the exhaust opens, so there's more torque from an engine that has peak combustion pressure occurring as early as possible and doesn't reach peak combustion pressure too late.

If ignition is far too advanced at the starting RPM, you'll be starting your engine by cranking against the force of the combustion, and it could backfire!
If it vibrates badly at any point in the RPM RANGE due to peak combustion pressure occurring too close to TDC when the piston can't move away, it will be beating the :poop: out of the bearings.
It's a fine balance. And you probably should have put the money toward a better CDI. :confused:

We had another discussion about base timings, I think it was last year.. :unsure:
Search for: most retarded thread ever :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Should be the other way around. Ignition occurs earlier higher RPM and later at lower RPM, and it is suggested that it should occur later atvery high RPM to allow the piston to start the down stroke before the moment of peak combustion pressure. Our stock CDIs just advance and never retard above the mid ram as it is suggested they ought to.
By retarding the ignition on the old engines we were reducing the vibration at high RPM and accidentally making it very eary to start the engine at a very low speed, but at the expense of having fewer degrees where the pressure can do work, until up to (~4k in my case) speed.
There's a limited number of degrees that the pressure can do work before the exhaust opens, so there's more torque from an engine that has peak combustion pressure occurring as early as possible and doesn't reach peak combustion pressure too late.
If ignition is far too advanced at the starting RPM, you'll be starting your engine by cranking against the force of the combustion, and it could backfire!
If it vibrates badly at any point in the RPM RANGE due to peak combustion pressure occurring too close to TDC when the piston can't move away, it will be beating the :poop: out of the bearings.
It's a fine balance. And you probably should have put the money toward a better CDI. :confused:
We had another discussion about base timings, I think it was last year.. :unsure:

I'll search for that.

I really have little vibration and don't need to go any faster than what i already am going, all i really want for christmas is my two front teeth :D

Wrong song :D

All i realy want/need is more hill climbing oomph, heck realy i don't need anything else, i'm fairly content :)

I guess i'm just messin around with the magnet when it gets here.
If it don't do as i need, well, i'll throw it into the unwanted pile of junk :D

Can ya recomend/link to one of the better CDI's? I was thinking of the Jaguar one but i keep getting side tracked :D

Should be the other way around. Ignition occurs earlier at higher RPM and later at lower RPM, and it is suggested that it should occur later at very high RPM to allow the piston to start the down stroke before the moment of peak combustion pressure.
Our stock CDIs just advance and never retard above the mid RPM as it is suggested they ought to.

It's all good if you retarded it 5.4 degrees and your cdi has 5 degrees retarded thats 10.4 total from the 23-25 it started at so now it's at 13.4-15.4 much better since ideal is 8-10 degrees and as the rpm climb now at the peak instead of being around 30 degrees now you will be at 20 degrees not ideal but better at least.Also I dont think the cdi is retarded any it's just the different keyway locations if your magnet has the one oclock keyway position you did the right thing the newer ones have the keyway closer to twelve oclock and that's where the timming difference is.

Ok, if what the zms site says, and @Street Ryderz said?.. the 12 degrees will be closer to the correct 8-10 degrees, right?

Can ya recomend/link to one of the better CDI's? I was thinking of the Jaguar one but i keep getting side tracked :D
Yeah get the Jaguar one. It's the most interesting one by far for the hobbyist, having now six(?) different timing options in one CDI. You're sure to like at least one of it's timings for general commuting and touring use.
I keep meaning to get one, too.

Last edited:
That'll be the next step then. I guess i'll just use the magnet, if it gets here, for a paper weight :p

Nah, i'm gonna try it at least give it a shot and if it don't work, then yeah, chalked up to another silly idea :D

Ok, if what the zms site says, and @Street Ryderz said?.. the 12 degrees will be closer to the correct 8-10 degrees, right?
The newer engine design (not what I have) was supposed to be already corrected so that you didn't have to do the base timing mod that I did. I think Street was saying to someone who was retarding the ignition newer version (already retarded compared to the old) engine, making it twice as retarded as mine, and more than is possible for me with an offset key.
Your engine with stock timing is similar to mine with my offset (retarded) magnet key mod.

Ps sorry for a few edits along the thread, I don't always word things clearly the first time.

That'll be the next step then. I guess i'll just use the magnet, if it gets here, for a paper weight :p

Nah, i'm gonna try it at least give it a shot and if it don't work, then yeah, chalked up to another silly idea :D
You might have room to add second keyway to your crank shaft since it is so many degrees away from stock.

The newer engine design (not what I have) was supposed to be already corrected so that you didn't have to do the base timing mod that I did. I think Street was saying to someone who was retarding the ignition newer version (already retarded compared to the old) engine, making it twice as retarded as mine, and more than is possible for me with an offset key.
Your engine with stock timing is similar to mine with my offset (retarded) magnet key mod.

Ps sorry for a few edits along the thread, I don't always word things clearly the first time.

No worries :)

Ah, so i just made a useless purchase.

I think i'll just go with the CDI first even before i try the magnet, i'm really confused right now :oops:

Off to http://www.dragonfly75.com/motorbike/CDI.html I go :p

Back