Stock chain tensioner pulley problems - Solution

Toby woodman

Local time
10:23 AM
Has anyone else had the same experience - I was out for a beautiful evening ride when the chain tensioner bearing failed, it was a frustrating experience having to pedal home with the chain wrapped around the bike, I checked all my other bikes, and all the tensioner bearings seemed loose and were about to fail, as you can see in the photos, the inside bearing race is still on the bike, the bearing disintegrated. I would urge everyone to check their bearings now, as it is a frustrating faliure that leaves you pedalling home. The solution - I have encountered people using a skateboard wheel, but this usually requires a bit of modification I found that you can extract the old bearing, or whats left of it, and expoxy a quality bearing back in, this is better than stock because a good quality bearing should not fail as quickly as the chinese ones do, and the stock bearings are only press fit, so they can fall out. Just thought i'd let people know, and wondered if anyoneone else had experienced the same thing.

Attachments

• IMG_4988.jpeg
    IMG_4988.jpeg
    240.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4986.jpeg
    IMG_4986.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4978.jpeg
    IMG_4978.jpeg
    276.6 KB · Views: 16
Has anyone else had the same experience - I was out for a beautiful evening ride when the chain tensioner bearing failed, it was a frustrating experience having to pedal home with the chain wrapped around the bike, I checked all my other bikes, and all the tensioner bearings seemed loose and were about to fail, as you can see in the photos, the inside bearing race is still on the bike, the bearing disintegrated. I would urge everyone to check their bearings now, as it is a frustrating faliure that leaves you pedalling home. The soloution - I have encountered people using a skateboard wheel, but this usually requires a bit of modification I found that you can extract the old bearing, or whats left of it, and expoxy a quality bearing back in, this is better than stock because a good quality bearing should not fail as quickly as the chinese ones do, and the stock bearings are only press fit, so they can fall out. Just thought i'd let people know, and wondered if anyoneone else had experienced the same thing.
Or you can simply do what I do...I cut the chain down to exact custom size needed to run without a tensioner whatsoever...This is MY solution...lol.

It has little to no chain noise, runs straight and true without flexing back and forth, side to side, and just one less thing to break and go wrong on you.

I had a tensioner bearing and the tensioner wheel explode on me over 10 years ago and I said NEVER AGAIN.

Take a look at my bike with no tensioner.

DSCN0229.JPG

Another view of rear caliper adaptor.IMG_0350.jpg

I've broken the bearings before. It is important to have the idler in line with the chain, not with the stay. Put an adjustable spanner on the bracket and twist it.

sadly, my bike dosen't have perfect sproket alignment, so even the correct size chain using a half link i bought online dosent stay on over bumps.

Even with this you need good alignment, or the chain will wear the pully sides prematurely.
1716586329190.png

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
sadly, my bike dosen't have perfect sproket alignment, so even the correct size chain using a half link i bought online dosent stay on over bumps.
Even with this you need good alignment, or the chain will wear the pully sides prematurely.
You need to correct the alignment problem before anything else will work properly...If the alignment is not correct, it will never work correctly.

Yea, above is correct on that top roller. I was trying to point you to a 2 point attachment pully that is stronger and won't rotate on the stay into the spokes.

Back