Stoeckli MTB + Honda GCV160 (was Tecumseh 35) rack mounted.

Marcellus

Local time
3:48 PM
Hi Everyone,

I live near Geneva but in the french part of the country. Just found your extremely interested forum so I thought I could share my new winter project with some fellow enthusiasts.

This project will be based on refurbished parts from dumpster diving, bike and engine are coming from trash. Sometimes you can find diamonds...

So the bike is a Stoeckli XC-6 Pro, a very well constructed 26" swiss made Mountain bike. I think it slept in a barn for a few years, judging by its state.

01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg 05.jpg

The bike is covered with dust, the chain is totally rusty, tyres are cracked, wasps have nested in threaded holes...
The good part is that this bike has a beautiful aluminium frame, a high end Manitou front fork and XT chain drive.
Fork and hubs are ready to receive disc brakes. It is equiped with nice V-brakes.

For the power plant, I found a trashed gas powered scarifier equiped with a Tecumseh 35 4T engine.
I recovered it during a rainy day, spark plug was missing and I could see rust through the cylinder hole but as the engine was not stuck, I put it in my tiny car.

06.jpg 07.jpg 08.jpg 09.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg

First thing I did was fixing the wheels, changing tubes and tires for new ones. I had to drill the rims to 9mm to fit standard valves which I prefer.
I cleaned the hubs and took some measurements for drawing adapters.

12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg

Next I removed the front V-Brakes from the fork and mounted a 160mm disc with its hydraulic caliper. I got a pretty nice deal on a shelf abandoned shimano kit at my local sport store.

16.jpg17.jpg18.jpg

It was now time for forensic medecine on the engine part...
I stripped down all the engine parts until the head was fully accessible.
Removed the head and voilà :)

19.jpg20.jpg21.jpg

I soaked the head in some stove cleaner, an acid based solution, and let it rest all the night.
The next morning I had this:

22.jpg23.jpg

And a few brass brush moves later I had this:

24.jpg25.jpg

So now I can proceed with the crime scene investigation...

In the mean time I ordered a keyed clutch equiped with a 12 tooth sprocket and its #35 chain. This is a perfect fit for my 19mm crank shaft.

26.jpg

I saw on this video that this gentleman is using a 12/72 ratio with succes, what do you think of it ?

The rest will follow later on and I am pretty sure I will request your assistance on many topics.
Thank you for your time and for sharing your experiences.

Last edited:
Change of plan, I just got hands on a Honda GCV160 from my favorite dealer (dumpsters :))

28.jpg29.jpg30.jpg31.jpg32.jpg33.jpg34.jpg35.jpg36.jpg37.jpg38.jpg39.jpg40.jpg

Don't know why there is tape around the air filter, nothing is broken at all. Dismounting the under traction belt cover I understand that previous owner was not the king of maintenance !
Engine is in very good shape. Even the plitted air filter looks good.
4.4HP and more recent design make me think that this engine is a better choice.

After reading and seeing many videos, I really want to go the CVT way.

s-l500.jpg

My problem is that the output shaft of my GCV160 is a 22mm or 7/8" diameter and I cannot find any CVT on the market that has this input diameter for the drive pulley. Can only find 3/4" or 1".

shaft-gcv160e.png

Should I create an intermediate 7/8" jack shaft ? Should I change the crank shaft for a 1" model which exists as a Honda spare parts ?

Anybody has experience with this kind of adaptation ?

On the bike side I also changed the rear Vbrake for an hydraulic disc set. So I will be 180mm front and 160mm rear, all hydraulic.

If you can run the engine you could grind/sand the shaft you need to add a dipper to the crank too or find a rod cap that already has a dipper if you’re running it horizontal.

Hi,

This is also the reason why I chose this engine, the piston rod is already equiped with a dipper and the engine can run vertically and horizontally.

Honda-GCV160-OHC-Engine-OEM-Connecting-Rod.jpg

Even the cylinder is already equiped with two sets of holes to rotate the carb 90°

My only concerns are for the oil filling hole position and the shaft diameter.

Last edited:
Change of plan, I just got hands on a Honda GCV160 from my favorite dealer (dumpsters :))

View attachment 85132View attachment 85133View attachment 85134View attachment 85135View attachment 85136View attachment 85137View attachment 85138View attachment 85139View attachment 85140View attachment 85141View attachment 85142View attachment 85143View attachment 85144

Don't know why there is tape around the air filter, nothing is broken at all. Dismounting the under traction belt cover I understand that previous owner was not the king of maintenance !
Engine is in very good shape. Even the plitted air filter looks good.
4.4HP and more recent design make me think that this engine is a better choice.

After reading and seeing many videos, I really want to go the CVT way.

View attachment 85146

My problem is that the output shaft of my GCV160 is a 22mm or 7/8" diameter and I cannot find any CVT on the market that has this input diameter for the drive pulley. Can only find 3/4" or 1".

View attachment 85145

Should I create an intermediate 7/8" jack shaft ? Should I change the crank shaft for a 1" model which exists as a Honda spare parts ?

Anybody has experience with this kind of adaptation ?

On the bike side I also changed the rear Vbrake for an hydraulic disc set. So I will be 180mm front and 160mm rear, all hydraulic.
That is a easy fix..............Curt
https://www.carrollstream.com/1-1-1...m_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shoppingengine

You're absolutely right Curt, I can even attach a transparent hose to it to manage the oil level and color.

So now I have ordered my CVT and the adapter sleeve but I have some difficulties to find some 60T 40/41/420 or even 428 sprocket.

The most promising offer I found is this one: Honda CBR250 kit

Once I have this missing piece, I can draw the adapter like this one:

81UyM3SlsrL._SL1500_.jpg

inspired by a picture I saw in the media list of the forum from user "Spareparts" to be able to have both disc brake and sprocket:

full

Back