Stop Chain Lockup

FrizzleFried

Local time
8:39 AM
Does anyone here use this part?

I purchased one a few weeks back. I've not installed it yet. Just looking to see if anyone has done so and what they think of it.

Seems like a no-brainer idea... locking up the chain up in the sprocket cavity sucks... I've seen the result. My brother has had it happen to him not once... not twice... but three times (I never said my brother was the intelligent one!)...

The last time it took him out bigtime. He ended up with a very large gauge of flesh torn out of his leg from the pedal... his right arm had a hole in it easily 1/4"x1/4"x1/4" deep (no... I'm not kidding)... and he bruised a number of ribs. That accident ALMOST convinced me NOT to do my bike project. I ultimately decided (after research online including here) the situation was more his personal idiocy and less "the hobby"... :)

That said... I really... REALLY don't want to lock up the rear rim by jamming up at the front sprocket. Seems so ... preventable.

:)

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
REALLY don't want to lock up the rear rim by jamming up at the front sprocket. Seems so ... preventable.
You could do what I did, I simply cut down both the drive chain and the pedal chain so they are a direct, exact, fit...No slop in the chain and no tensioner at all, see pics below.

Your brothers chains keep binding up because even with a tensioner, he still has too much chain to play with and its slopping around and getting bound up on the front drive sprocket housing.

IMG_0353.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

Back