Storage outdoors in the rain – looking for advice

Heather

Local time
5:04 PM
Firstly, let me say, I am new to this forum, so I apologize if I am posting in the wrong place or unwittingly violating some guidelines. I know very little about motors -- hence why I need advice -- so I will try to describe as best I can despite my limited knowledge.

My roommate was arrested and will be in jail for a few months. I am looking after his motorbike while he is gone. I don't know much about it except that it has a 2-stroke motor on it. I also know that he didn't have a chance to replace a fuel line before he got arrested, so it may either be missing a fuel line or have a loose or damaged fuel line currently.

We don't have a garage to store it in, so he's been keeping it outside, which has been no problem during the hot summer months. I live in California, so the weather is pretty mild here overall, but it's starting to get colder and wetter. We had our first storm roll in with some rain a few days ago. Since then I have been wondering whether the rain might damage any of the parts on the bike if it's just left sitting outside. Some parts of the motor look as if they have openings [I assume for air] where water might be able to get in. I don't know if this poses a risk or how bad it really is.

Once I saw it was about to rain, I moved it to a spot in the yard where it is under an eave. This might shield it from some rain, but the eave is very high up and not very wide, so I'm afraid even the slightest wind will render that small amount of coverage of no use. I also stretched a plastic garbage bag over the seat and part of the frame in hopes that the rain will roll off the plastic and not down onto the engine below it, but I don't know how much that will really help.

Any advice on how to store, cover, or care for the bike, given that it has to be left outside? I don't want it getting damaged while he's in jail. What can I do? Should I even be worried? Any and all suggestions would be very appreciated. Like I said, I know very little on the topic, so chances are any experience you can provide would be educational. Thanks! :)

Large garbage bags over the gas tank, CDI, and engine and entire rear of the bike (protect chain) should be fine. You can do this with one or two bags (cut them for more coverage). Probably good to remove the seat too so you can get an even cover with the bags. Like this picture.

upload_2017-9-16_7-47-36.png

Err, I forgot to mention this is for cheapo option... You can always just buy a bicycle cover off of eBay for $10, most shippers are California so you will get it fast.

Firstly, let me say, I am new to this forum, so I apologize if I am posting in the wrong place or unwittingly violating some guidelines. I know very little about motors -- hence why I need advice -- so I will try to describe as best I can despite my limited knowledge.

My roommate was arrested and will be in jail for a few months. I am looking after his motorbike while he is gone. I don't know much about it except that it has a 2-stroke motor on it. I also know that he didn't have a chance to replace a fuel line before he got arrested, so it may either be missing a fuel line or have a loose or damaged fuel line currently.

We don't have a garage to store it in, so he's been keeping it outside, which has been no problem during the hot summer months. I live in California, so the weather is pretty mild here overall, but it's starting to get colder and wetter. We had our first storm roll in with some rain a few days ago. Since then I have been wondering whether the rain might damage any of the parts on the bike if it's just left sitting outside. Some parts of the motor look as if they have openings [I assume for air] where water might be able to get in. I don't know if this poses a risk or how bad it really is.

Once I saw it was about to rain, I moved it to a spot in the yard where it is under an eave. This might shield it from some rain, but the eave is very high up and not very wide, so I'm afraid even the slightest wind will render that small amount of coverage of no use. I also stretched a plastic garbage bag over the seat and part of the frame in hopes that the rain will roll off the plastic and not down onto the engine below it, but I don't know how much that will really help.

Any advice on how to store, cover, or care for the bike, given that it has to be left outside? I don't want it getting damaged while he's in jail. What can I do? Should I even be worried? Any and all suggestions would be very appreciated. Like I said, I know very little on the topic, so chances are any experience you can provide would be educational. Thanks! :)
I know this guy with a bike and he has a ziplock bag design for bikes he bags his bike when he goes to work a little overprotective I'd say so call a few bike shops ask for a bike bag.

Back