Stormy weather

What a relief! Thanks for letting us know everyone is alright. Dittos on the support, let us know what you need.

Dang! I was watching clips of this flooding on youtube. The PNW really did get hit hard.
Portions of I-5 were closed between Portland and Seattle! Yowzers!

Glad you all got your fingers n' toes. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Still closed. There is a 400 mile detour due to the damages and flooding... It was one H.E.!! of a storm!!!

alive and well, and the bonds are stronger than ever :)

and...we had us a 5-bike rally in the middle of a natural disaster...more later after i get caught up :cool:

Doggonit Augie, see we were worried about ya'll and your just playing in the rain gutters!
Go figure!
Nah, just glad your all ok.
Doc

I'm just glad our Fearless Leader is OK, alive and well! Glad to see you made it through, Augi, and all you other cool people up there in the PNW. Again, I'm hoping to see all of you next summer!

(as i post this, let's remember there are several thousand folks on the mainland who fared much worse than us, and who are still suffering)

stormy weather, indeed!

the peninsula being what it is (long, narrow, flat, north/south, seated at the outlet of the columbia river) we were hammered by the southerly winds. it doesn't take long for a falling tree to find a powerline in those conditions, and "regular" power-outages are a way of life up here.

so, within an hour of the winds kicking up we were in the dark. we had the darkest dark there is, too...no lights and no info from the "outside world"...best bet is to hunker down, light a candle, listen to the sound of freight-trains rolling up the road at you (gusts topping 120mph), & just admire the strength of mother nature doing her thing.

about 3am, we lost the cel-tower, too...now we were truly cut off. i'll explain more later about how that affected the visit from our Dimension Edge buddies. they were out there somewhere, and we had no way of finding each other

next morning, cruzin came by in the car to check up on me and take me to the local grocers for supplies. at this point, because of downed trees, you had to drive 6 blocks to go 2.

of the 2 main stores in town, one will always be operating at generator capacity during outages. uh-oh...that's when we learned the extent of our isolation...no communications at all, meaning no access to plastic money. the store manager, a great friend, extended me personal credit so i could get a couple days worth of canned goods. i have a propane stove in my cottage, so cooking and warmth were still mine to enjoy (and share, if need be)...once i had basic supplies, my "crisis" was pretty much over.

mirror, mirror, on the wall...what's the most versatile vehicle of them all? why, a motoredbike, of course!

shane and i went our seperate ways for the day, to go on well-being checks of our friends. luckily, we both found everyone doing fine. what an adventure, tho...skirting trees and powerlines, going where others can't. i think i got more envious stares that morning than i'd ever had, it brought to mind early discussions we've had at MBc about catastrophe response of organized motoredbikers. by afternoon the roads had been cleared enuff so everyone had at least one route into town, but if that hadn't happened i was prepared to volunteer at the firehouse, willing to take backpacks of candles, water, etc into the isolated areas. thank goodness it wasn't needed, but food for future thought...

more later today...we're still catching our breath around here :cool:

Augi, I'm so glad the silence is broken. Here we were worried and you were having an adventure of a lifetime. Augi the MBc Rescue Ranger. This will be a great stroy for MBc history. I hope you got some pictures.

no pics, it wasn't logistically possible...i have an old floppy-access camera with a very short battery life. it's useless during an outage. however, the DE guys got some footage and pics, so we'll see that eventually.

Back