Strange Stories while riding in the wild...

• Thread starter Deleted member 30828
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 30828

Ive only been riding and building power bikes for about a year now. There have been several strange experiences ive had while riding, but for now ill just share what happened last night.

Roads where i live can be pretty dark with lots of turns and hills, so riding on the sidewalk is often necessary for everyone's safety. So im riding last night on the sidewalk, and i see a man walking towards me. I slow down and pedal while the engine idles. I know he can see me coming, as i have 6 lights on my bike, all on.

The guy is pretty big and tall, and does not appear to have any hesitation about passing. Now my motor and muffler are pretty quiet, especially while idling, so he must not have heard it until he got very close, because just as we were passing in the dark, he looks down at my bike and yells out with total fear ...AARGH! AAAAAARGH!! and takes off. I did the same! LOL 😂 i seriously think the dude might have shat himself 🤣

I think my bike is pretty bad ass...but scary??😳

Just another strange story to add to the list.
Feel free to share your own 😄

IMG_20210407_123855.jpg

IMG_20210318_174903.jpg

In my state Tennessee, which has lots of hills and curves, it's illegal to operate any gas powered vehicle on the sidewalks. Here if a cop had seen you the bike would've been impounded and you given a ticket for reckless endangerment. If you didn't have a valid driver's license that would've been a trip to jail.

Sidewalks are for pedestrians. You need to learn how to safely operate your motorized bicycle vehicle in traffic where vehicles belong. Here's my favorite cyclist training videos be sure to watch all 3 videos. Get some handlebar mirrors and/or helmet mirrors. Also use hand signals. The 5 main things to safely ride in traffic is:

1) Be alert
2) Be aware
3) Be seen
4) Be predictable
5) Obey all traffic laws

Though you might think scaring that man was funny; it's illegal actions such as yours that get laws passed banning our bikes.

Last edited:
Thanks, but wrong thread for safety tips. Where i live its absolutely necessary sometimes, and also legal to ride on the sidewalk (even electric and motored under 50cc). People everywhere do so and its common.

No gas powered vehicle anywhere in the USA is allowed to operate on the sidewalks. Electric mobility devices are allowed but are limited to under 15 mph. Electric bicycles aren't considered electric mobility devices. Segways, electric wheel chairs, seated mobility scooters, electric kick scooters these fall into to mobility area and are allowed on sidewalks.

Some states do allow bicycles on the sidewalks but legally you aren't suppose to use the electric assist. If you'd been under pedal power only your state might've allowed you on the sidewalk. However, there was a witness in your case.

wow yall are no fun lol 😂

regardless of the law, no cops here have a problem with it, and drivers here are often crazy and often actually get really mad if a bicycle of any kind is in the road slowing traffic. Any motored bicycle under 50cc is legally considered a regular bicycle here. News flash: laws and common practice in certain areas regardless of law, are different depending on where u live.

is this the police forum? 😬 my bad....peace out ✌️

Edit: actually some of yall are worse than the police here geez lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, but wrong thread for safety tips. Where i live its absolutely necessary sometimes, and also legal to ride on the sidewalk (even electric and motored under 50cc). People everywhere do so and its common.
People speed, run red light and don't stop at stop signs; very common thing, still illegal though. Don't be insulted here, we're actually trying to help you. Watch the 3 videos. I live in the mountains and still ride in the streets where I belong.

The 2 towns and 2 cites I live by allow you to ride on the sidewalks...
Reason is..... they don't want you to get your ass run over by the s**tty drivers we have here.

wow yall are no fun lol 😂

regardless of the law, no cops here have a problem with it, and drivers here are often crazy and often actually get really mad if a bicycle of any kind is in the road slowing traffic.

is this the police forum? 😬 my bad....peace out ✌️
We're lots of fun, what we aren't is stupid.

We're all born ignorant.

A fool never learns from their mistakes.

A smart person learns from their mistakes.

The truly wise learns from their mistakes of others.

The 2 towns and 2 cites I live by allow you to ride on the sidewalks...
Reason is..... they don't want you to get your ass run over by the sh**ty drivers we have here.
Would you ride a moped on the sidewalk? If you lack the skills and confidence to navigate traffic you probably shouldn't be on any kind of bike.

Back