Strange Stories while riding in the wild...

• Thread starter Deleted member 30828
  • Start date
If I'm recalling the Minnesota law correctly you have to be under a certain age to legally ride on a sidewalk on a human powered bicycle.
My bad on the Minnesota law thing Frogslayer, I confused it with Missouri law.

However if you're on the sidewalk in Minnesota you must ride at pedestrian speed.

Minnesota Statute 169.222, Subdivision 4:

Minnesota law does not prohibit sidewalk riding unless in a business district or where prohibited by city ordinance. In Minnesota, a business district, defined by a block with more than 50 percent business use. Additionally, a person lawfully operating a bicycle on a sidewalk, or across a roadway or shoulder on a crosswalk, shall have all the rights and duties applicable to a pedestrian under the same circumstances. This means that the bicyclist must not enter a crosswalk if a vehicle is approaching and it is impossible for the driver to stop. While riding on a sidewalk a bicyclist should move at pedestrian speeds and must also continue to give an audible signal when passing other pedestrians and yield to other pedestrians on the sidewalk. (BikeMN recommends that children 10 and under ride on the sidewalk and under the leadership of an adult as they may not yet have developed the physical skills and cognitive ability to navigate roadways.)

I don't want to put Vendedda down but hopefully teach him the skills to be a better cyclist or any others who feel the need to be on a sidewalk. Will I use a less traveled parallel road to a busy street? Of course I will. Will I ride on a wide debris free shoulder on a highway? Of course I will. Will I ride in a bike lane if legal for me to do so? Of course I will. But if I must ride in traffic I have the skills to do that as well.

That being said my bike has equipment to help make riding it safer.

Mirrors

Pedestrian bell

Air horn for closed compartment vehicles

Brake light daylight visible

Signal lights front and rear daylight visible.

Speedometer

Headlight

Taillight

I don't want to put Vendedda down but hopefully teach him the skills to be a better cyclist or any others who feel the need to be on a sidewalk. Will I use a less traveled parallel road to a busy street? Of course I will. Will I ride on a wide debris free shoulder on a highway? Of course I will. Will I ride in a bike lane if legal for me to do so? Of course I will. But if I must ride in traffic I have the skills to do that as well.

That being said my bike has equipment to help make riding it safer.

Mirrors

Pedestrian bell

Air horn for closed compartment vehicles

Brake light daylight visible

Signal lights front and rear daylight visible.

Speedometer

Headlight

Taillight
Where's your Helmet? :ROFLMAO:

Back