Street legal clarification (Alabama)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a new generation two cycle and it's quiet for any engine. Oil mix isn't an issue for me because a two gallon can runs me 270 miles. The bike will go over 50 miles on my 1.5L tank and I have a 22 oz reserve. Just never needed more.

Hey from Decatur! I am intrested in making my bike legal in Alabama also and frankly have a headache from searching for answers on the internet. I want to take my "Old School Creation" to Barbers Motorsports Park in Birmingham this fall to the Vintage Festival but one of their rules is that anything ridden inside the park must be Street Legal. Does anyone have any more or new information on how to do this?

Attachments

• new bars.jpg
    new bars.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 769
Ihemrick,

Boy that's a good looking bike. The technical answer is you probably can't, because that will require a VIN. You can apply to the state as a home built vehicle and try to get a VIN but that's a big headache as most people at the DMV would probably not understand what is going on. Could take a very long time also.

If it were me, I would make sure I had all the legal bells and whistles (headlight, turn signals, brake light) and see if you could blow right by the good people at BMS. As unique as your bike is, it would be a shame if they turned you away over some legal BS.

My wife has a relative in the Morgan County Courthouse and I haven't talked to her yet. I have in the past took a pop-up camper that someone gave me and changed it to a flat trailer for hauling motorcycles and applied for a new vin # because of the change. That process wasn't bad at all. I don't mind the time or work involved question is, is it worth the money?

Lynn

Has something changed?!?!?!?!?

I started digging into the ALISONDB and I cannot find the part that killed motor assisted bicycles anymore. CLICK CODE OF ALABAMA, VIEW

Section 32-5A-281
(1) BICYCLE. A human-powered vehicle with two wheels in tandem design to transport by the act of pedaling one or more persons seated on one or more saddle seats on its frame. "Bicycle" includes, but is not limited to, a human-powered vehicle designed to transport by the act of pedaling which has more than two wheels when the vehicle is used on a public roadway, public bicycle path, or other public road or right-of-way, but does not include a tricycle.

No longer do I see the limitations that say if it's got an engine on it that it's no longer a bicycle. Now it says it includes but is not limited to human power. Where's the restrictions???? Have I lost my mind? - Thanks! Edit: Ok, so am I misinterpreting it again. Surely that "includes, but is not limited to" is talking about it includes being human-powered, but not limited to being powered by anything else. Did something happen and we get the best bike legislation around? No engine / speed restrictions?

Last edited:
"Bicycle" includes, but is not limited to, a human-powered vehicle designed to transport by the act of pedaling which has more than two wheels when the vehicle is used on a public roadway, public bicycle path, or other public road or right-of-way, but does not include a tricycle.

The "includes, but is not limited to" phrase is a modifier of the definition of "bicycle". It basically means that a "bicycle" can include a quadricycle. Human powered only, however. The specific exclusion of tricycle would seem to indicate that adult trikes, delta or tadpole in configuration, are NOT bicycles. I rather suspect that the inclusion is designed to accomodate the resorts that rent "surrey" type quadricycles to paying customers.

Powered bicycles remain motor vehicles, it would appear.

Wanna bet that one or more legislators or their family members/buddies is in that business?

"Bicycle" includes, but is not limited to, a human-powered vehicle designed to transport by the act of pedaling which has more than two wheels when the vehicle is used on a public roadway, public bicycle path, or other public road or right-of-way, but does not include a tricycle.

it reads that a " bicycle "includes" other human powered vehicles with more than 2 wheels",,,,, which means you can have a 4 wheel bike and its still a bicycle .... i would jus t take it easy when on the streets of alabama,,, i havent had any trouble "yet" .. but i watch every where and stay on side roads and shoulder lanes when i can ,,,, but that doesnt mean motors are leagle now .... if its got an engine in alabama you are required to tag it ...... sorry but wish it wasnt that way ....

My wife has a relative in the Morgan County Courthouse and I haven't talked to her yet. I have in the past took a pop-up camper that someone gave me and changed it to a flat trailer for hauling motorcycles and applied for a new vin # because of the change. That process wasn't bad at all. I don't mind the time or work involved question is, is it worth the money?

Lynn

YES BUT DONT FORGET THAT IF YOU PUT A TAG ON A BIKE IT BECOMES A MOPED ... MOTORCYCLE OR WHAT EVER THEY WANT TO TAG IT AS YOU ARE ALSO REQUIRED TO HAVE INSURANCE ON IT IN ALABAMA ....AND MOTORCYCLE ENDORCEMENT ON YOUR LINCESES ...... THATS THE REASON I DONT WANT A tag... IF HAVE TO DO ALL THAT AND PAY THE THE EXPENESS OF THAT ILL JUS BUY ANOTHER MOTORCYCLE ...LESS TROUBLE ALL AROUND... BUT AS LONG AS I CAN RIDE MY MOTOR BICYCLE TAG FREE ILL KEEP RIDING ....

Last edited:
Lets not forget; Even if it was legal in Alabama each city has there on laws and ordinances. There was just a report on the local news where the city of Decatur is set to crack down on people with golf carts using the city streets because "Its an unlicensed motor vehicle" using the city street and oh by the way motor vehicles are illegal on the sidewalks too!

Lynn

Sidewalks

It is illegal to ride a bicycle on the sidewalks (assist motor or not).
ALISON DB (CLICK ON --> CODE OF ALABAMA --> VIEW/SEARCH)
Section 32-5A-52
Driving upon sidewalk.

No person shall drive any vehicle upon a sidewalk or sidewalk area except upon a permanent or duly authorized temporary driveway.

(Acts 1980, No. 80-434, p. 604, Sec.11-103.)

Yes I break this law every day that I ride my bike into work, or on my way home (2 - 3 days per week, weather depending). My bicycle is not motorized (yet). I ride 6 miles to work and 6 miles home at an average speed of 8.5MPH (got me a computer for it finally). I finally found the statute that states it is illegal to ride on the sidewalks, and I called an officer to confirm it (my co-worker who rides unassisted for around 70+ miles each Saturday, average speed of 19MPH, informed me of this a while back, but cynical me did not believe him). The officer I spoke with said he has never ticketed anyone who he has spotted riding on the sidewalks and would only ever do so if there were a lot of people on the sidewalk and the cyclist was being a hazard to others (of which there are very little if any people jogging during the times that I ride into or from work - varies between 4AM to 6AM in the mornings and 1PM to 3PM in the evenings, as I try to avoid the busy traffic hours). The only time I get onto the road are at crosswalks and when I have to go across the only major bridge and always look at the on ramp - worry that I'll get runover by an early morning driver (I wait for traffic to clear from this sidewalk on my way home, and this one is potentially the most dangerous because people coming off of Technology taking a right onto Sparkman just do not look for pedestrians or cyclists who have the walk signal - lately I have been using the signal light when a car has been available to trigger it to head through UAH). I do not feel comfortable riding on the road (yet) because I am still trying to get into shape and feel that in my present shape I am more a hazard on the roadway than I am on the sidewalks. I know the statistics for getting into an accident are higher if your ride upon the sidewalks, but I keep my eyes open for traffic and pedestrians while going at a slower pace. If I can get up to a higher average speed (12-15MPH) or if I motorize my bike, I will then stick to the road. For now I am enjoying my exercise, and do not see a need to motorize just yet. The first day I rode it in nearly killed me, but that was only the first day. I now am enjoying the ride both ways, and do not feel exhausted anymore so I am working towards strength, speed and higher gearing (my previous ride in I did not go below gears 2 & 3, today I did not go below gears 2 & 4 - out of 3 & 7).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back