Street legal clarification (Alabama)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trixer

Local time
9:28 AM
Alright so I was doing some searching and I found this form..

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/EquipmentChart2006.pdf

I live in alabama and if I am understanding what I am reading correctly to make my bike street legal (Aka a moped or scooter) all I need to have on it is a review mirror, front, and back breaks...

I have this funny feeling deep down in side, that normal bike breaks aren't going to pass.

Of course if I want to ride at night I need proper lighting, but I dont plan on doing that...

Anyways, if anyone has went through the trouble of making one of these beasts street legal for alabama, please tell me your experiences!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Trixer,
Always glad to find another Al rider in the fold. You understand the problem pretty well. In Al, if its got two wheels and peddles, it's a bicycle, add a motor, it's a motorcycle. Bicycles are not motorcycles and they can't be made into motorcycles. It's not just brakes, lights, mirrors (you need that anyway) or turn signals, the main issue is registration. To register a motor vehicle, you need a title, which requires a VIN and bicycles "don't got e'm".

I'm currently trying to get the law amended in Al, to allow a motorized bicycle to be treated as a bicycle (see "Whats Needed?" - this forum). I would welcome your support, PM me if you're interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I know you can apply for a custom vechile ven number, and then they give it one...

I have seen it done with cars and other things of course I have never seen it done with a bike.. well with a motorcycle I have..

Honestly, if I were you, I would just say its a custome built moped... and apply for a vin.. I know thats possible.

What I posted you was what the inspector looks for on the vechile before issueing it a vin number

If you go that route, don't forget liability insurance, complying with EPA standards as well as all other motor vehicle regulations and requirements. If I'm going to jump through those hoops, I'll buy a motorcycle.

It's just plain Motor assisted bicycle. Find the local laws on that.

I wish it were that easy. Unfortunately, Alabama doesn't recognize a motor assisted bicycle. If it is peddle powered only, it's a bicycle, if it has any other power source, it's a motor vehicle. Even if you're under peddle power with the engine turned off, you're on a MV. The police, to their credit, have ignored me so far but you never know about the next one.

ya for the most part the police will ignore me too I think, noone down here really cares..

however to get your "custom moped" with a vin, title, and tagged it wont cost you more then $100 or so, and 2-3 weeks. If a cop pulls you over just tell him your waiting on the paper work to go through to get it a vin

Alabama Laws.....

:cool: YEA BUT THE BAD THING IS IF YOU GET IT REGISTERD THEN YA GOT TO BUY TAG... INS ,,, ECT ECT ... IF YA GOT TO GO THRU ALL THAT THEN WHY NOT JUS GET A MOTORCYCLE.... LIVE IN NORTH ALABAMA MYSELF ,,,, BUT I WAS GOING TO REGISTER MY BIKE AT THE POLICE STATION BEFORE I PUT MY MOTOR ON IT ,,,, SO IF ANY THING COMES UP OR I GET PULLED OVER I CAN SHOW THEM WHRER "THEY " REGISTERED IT AS A BIKE .... MITE WORK MITE NOT... EITHER WAY ILL NOT REGISTER MINE WITH A A MOTORCYCLE...(CAUSE ITS NOT ) AND IF I GOT TO GO TO CORT THEN ILL BRING ALL PAPERS WHERE THE LAW REGISTERED IT IT AS A BICYCLE THEN GAVE ME A CITATION FOR RIDING IT .... DOUBLE STANDARDS DONT WORK WITH JUDGES MUCH THAT I CAN SEE .... IF THE POLICE DEPT REGISTERS IT AS A BICYCLE THEMSELVES THEN THEY SHOULDNT BE ALLOWED TO SAY I CAINT RIDE IT ....

Interesting- I'm outside of Fort Payne, Al. ( Hammondville) Will keep posted- I'm just looking into this and weighing options still.

In 2001 Bill, to To Amend Sections 32-8-2 and 32-8-31, Code of Alabama 1975

Check this out.

Back in 2001 there was a Bill that was going to amend the laws for motorized bikes; however, I have no clue what happened. I am going to begin to gather what info I can to send to our legislature to see what we can do to get this amended, or at least some sort of update. Take a look at it and see what you think of the Amendment?

The parts from the 2001 amendment were <50CC and a 25MPH speed limit.
(10) MOTORIZED BICYCLE. A two or three wheeled vehicle equipped with foot pedals to permit propulsion by human power, with an engine rated at less than or equal to two brake horsepower, with a cylinder capacity of less than or equal to 50 cubic centimeters, and capable of a maximum powered speed of 25 miles per hour on level ground while transporting an operator weighing 175 pounds.
"No certificate of title need be obtained for any of the following:
"(10) A motorized bicycle."
Section 2. (a) This act shall be known as and may be cited as the Motorized Bicycle Act.

(b) As used in this act, the following words shall have the following meanings:

(1) LIMITED ACCESS HIGHWAY. A roadway upon which ingress and egress are controlled solely by a system of entrance and exit ramps and not by traffic-control signals.

(2) MOTORIZED BICYCLE. The meaning ascribed in Section 32-8-2 of the Code of Alabama 1975.

(3) OPERATOR. A person who travels on a motorized bicycle seated on a saddle seat from which that person is intended to and can pedal and operate the controls of the motorized bicycle.

(4) POWERED SPEED. The speed in miles per hour of a motorized bicycle during propulsion by its engine.

(c) A motorized bicycle shall be treated as a bicycle under Title 32, Code of Alabama of 1975, except as to special regulations in this article and except as to those provisions of Title 32, Code of Alabama 1975, which by their nature can have no application. Motorized bicycles are excepted from the definition of a "motor-driven cycle" as provided in Chapter 12 of Title 32, Code of Alabama 1975, and shall not be governed thereby.

(d) Every operator of a motorized bicycle upon a roadway shall be granted all of the rights and shall be subject to all of the duties applicable to the operator of a bicycle under Title 32, Code of Alabama 1975, except as to special regulations in this article and except as to those provisions of Title 32, Code of Alabama 1975, which by their nature can have no application.

(e) The operation of a motorized bicycle shall be subject to the conditions stated in Section 32-5A-283, Code of Alabama 1975, relating to the use of protective bicycle helmets for operators 16 years of age and under and the use of restraining seats for passengers who weigh less than 40 pounds.

(f) The operator of a motorized bicycle shall possess an operator's license pursuant to Section 32-12-22, Code of Alabama 1975, or a driver's license pursuant to Section 32-6-1, Code of Alabama 1975, in order to operate a motorized bicycle upon a roadway.

(g) A motorized bicycle may not be operated on a limited access highway or other roadway where the minimum speed limit is above 35 miles per hour.

Section 3. All laws or parts of laws which conflict with this act are repealed.

Section 4. This act shall become effective on the first day of the third month following its passage and approval by the Governor, or its otherwise becoming law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back