Strength of frames and cycle parts.

I'm using a black 70mm brake Doc Item # BRK-70B. Essentially they all fit on the same way and the thread in the centre of the brake drum is the same size in all cases. To tell the truth if I'd been able to get a 90mm brake I would've gone with that, but nobody seems to have that size here in NZ at the moment.

I have a sturmey archer XFD front drum hub and have used it on three bikes so far (deviate, Haro, and Jag)
it has always stopped me with confidence, even coming down the mountain after the death race (24 miles, all downhill, coasting, no engine, speeds approx45-50mph)
and that was with the deviate, no rear brake, with an almost full 3.3 gal fuel tank, the bike had to weigh 75-80lbs !
I am not quite sure of the difference between drum and band brakes, but, I just thought I would try to help with a little info for comparison

Wow Bill, 24 miles downhill at them speeds is amazing. I have a sturmey Archer 3 speed hub but it's on a 26" rim. Besides, as Sianelle knows the rear wheels on a trike are a whole nother rascal.
By the way, THMC, I found a place in Florida that sells the trike rear wheels loaded with the tubes and tires at 24" for $60.00 including shipping for the pair. PM me if you need details.

That's an awfully good deal - $60.00 for the pair with tubes & tyres AND freight as well :eek: I'd definitely go for that deal Doc :thumbsup:

azkronic, - thanks for the info about your drum brake :) An internal drum brake is always going to be better than a band brake of the same size. It's just that I'm going for a retro look and I don't have the money for a drum brake at present. Mind you I've got no plans to ride my flat tracker 24 miles downhill at any speed :eek: and besides we don't have much 'downhill' here in the plains country. ;)

Ya Sianelle, I went for it. Thats only $30 bucks each for whole set up. One is keyed and the other is bearings. Really couldn't afford it but thought, I wouldn't find another buy like that either.

it is a very well made, nice looking part !!!
I paid approx 120 for the hub and to have it laced to my rim
was well worth the $$$
still straight as an arrow after well more than 1000 miles

Back