Stripped Screw during install... What can I do??

SpenceDawg

Local time
3:02 AM
Ok so this is the most ridiculous issue, but I'm afraid I ruined my new engine.

I had everything installed, and the last thing I need to do was thread the chain. I went to take off the cover, and the first two screws (the ones on the left) came out fine, but the third just would notttt budge. I asked a buddy of mine to try putting some elbow grease into it... next thing I know we've totally ruined this screw. Is there any way for me to thread the chain through that gap in the back? Or any way to get this goddamn screw out of there?

I know that this was very stupid of me, but I was hoping that somebody on here would have an idea for a way to fix it.

...Take it easy on me please

I found that an extractor set called grab it,Is the best one i have ever had or used its a reverse drill on one end and the extractor on the other. When used with an impact driver it takes less then 5 seconds.I got mine at lowes for 16-17 bucks for two in a case but they are available singular as well!

So actually you haven't stripped the screw, you've stripped the head of the screw. There's two ways I solve it when a fastener gets the head stripped out like this. First way is to take an angle grinder and cut a groove into the fastener's head so you can drive it with a big ass Flathead screwdriver. Beware angle grinder is the most dangerous tool in the shop you may want to use a hacksaw instead, even though it's much slower and less satisfying.

Option 2 to try drilling two little holes on opposite sides, through the lease effed-up parts of the head of the fastener, at a 45 degree angle downward towards the center. Then jam some metal in the holes you made ( broken drill bits in small enough size, tiny Allen hex keys you never use, etc. can work) and turn it with a crescent wrench or other suitable tool

If you ever strip a bolt the out of the cast aluminum of the engine, that's potentially a much more dicey situation, but it's also recoverable: yesterday I fixed 2 stripped header bolts on my engine block(!) by wrapping the bolts in really thin aluminum foil (from the inside of a cigarette pack with the paper part of it burned off) and red Loctite (after I'd reconditioned the threads on the bolt itself by running an exacto knife over it but that doesn't really matter because the aluminum was the part that was all chewed out) But it's holding up great now & lesson learned-be careful and deliberate, never frantic, when you're tightening your header bolts. even if you're in a hurry!

Last edited:
That bolt is recessed in the cover so trying to cut a slot or drill into it without messing up the cover is going to be very hard to do.

That bolt is recessed in the cover so trying to cut a slot or drill into it without messing up the cover is going to be very hard to do.
As long as you only damage the cover and don't cut into any gears or clutch or anything you should be fine - you can just use a little piece of screen or fabric or tape from the inside edge and Bondo over it to fix the cover. That's what I'd probably do in your situation, anyhow

Wow I dont think butchering parts is very good advise to a novice builder when there is proper ways of doing it! Spence if you dont want to buy an extractor you can just carefully drill the head off the damaged bolt,remove cover and use vise grips to remove the remaining portion.

Wow I dont think butchering parts is very good advise to a novice builder when there is proper ways of doing it! Spence if you dont want to buy an extractor you can just carefully drill the head off the damaged bolt,remove cover and use vise grips to remove the remaining portion.
yeah, if he can do it non destructively, that's probably better. my point is that even by a novice builder can expediently repair a 1mm drill hole or even a 1cmx1mm groove in the cover to roughly good as new condition, so if it comes to it, no sweat, you're not gonna need to but a whole new engine

aren't we taking about the screw that sticks out more than 1/4 inch on the back? if so, why not slot and turn that end till the head sticks out?

aren't we taking about the screw that sticks out more than 1/4 inch on the back? if so, why not slot and turn that end till the head sticks out?

most likely one of the other two that are into the engine block. it is possible to thread the chain without opening the drive sprocket case but it is extremely difficult to do. i really dont understand why they used screw bolts for that and the clutch casing. it is like the worse and easily fixable engineering decision...

Back