• Register now! It's free and easy.
  • Show your bike to the world, upload a photo today!
  • Hi Guest, did you know we have a dark style? It might be easier on the eyes at night time! Try it out here: Style Chooser

Stripped stud

M

mrsaxman99

So I accidentally stripped the block where one of my head studs is. Is there any way to fix this without buying a new block.

Surprisingly the engine seems to run fine with just 3/4 head studs in...

M

mrsaxman99

update:

so I found two possible solutions...JB Weld, and using a Helicoil. Can anyone comment on either of these that they have used with any success?

Thanks

azbill

go the helicoil route jb weld won't hold up to the vibration

G

Loctite makes a thread repair kit that i've had great success in the past with, I posted a link in a nother thread, but you can just google "loctite thread repair".

Helicoils are great too.

J

jeffspeeder

u will have to re tread it then buy a grade 8 bolt and locktite it

J

JFleck

I would just tap it out to the next bigger size,
using a helicoil requires a couple of special tools
unless you have them available, but since
you even know what a helicoil is I assume
you have the tools . . . most people don't know . . .

Every time I try to explain what coleco's are they
think I'm talking about an old video game system . . .

J

jeffspeeder

ya just go to the store get a grade 8 bolt and measure the size then tap that size into your bike

G

Careful- grade 8's snap like pretzels....I'd think a grade 5 would be enough. You don't want to torque it down too tight....27 ft/lbs.

JFleck- what are "coleco's"? Are you talking about Cleco fasteners for pre postioning sheetmetal before riveting?

Sorry, long day, my head hurts.

J

jeffspeeder

no grade 8 is the strongest bolt u can buy grade 1 bolts is what comes with the motor grade 5 is ok just dont torque to tight it might work fine enough

G

Yes, I know grade 8 are strong, but they are also brittle....we never, EVER use them in the aircraft, because they do snap like pretzels if loaded wrong.

Not a good choice for wing bolts fo' sho'!