Strong 10-32 hardware?

P

Patch

So On my stingray, I drilled through the sproket and hub six times to mount the sprocket with nylon spacers to get er around the back wheel.
But...the darn bolts keep snapping near the head.

What is another type of harder hardware I could use? What can I do so they stop sheering off?

It's 10-32 or 3/16th inches so any ideas?
Pics comming later

That's pretty small. Is it threaded all the way to the head? If so, that's another reason they keep snapping.

Thanks again joe...that's the biggest we could fit on the hub. Otheriwse we'd be drilling the spokes or off of the sprocket.

But having it not thread completely is a big help ill get some of them tomarrow! Thanks :D

Patch, how long do the bolts need to be? I've got a couple hundred stainless steel 3/16" bolts with stainless locknuts and stainless flat washers. I think they should be about as strong a bolt as you'll find in such a small diameter. I'm not at my shop right now and I can't remember exactly how long they are, but I think they're around 1 3/4" or so and I think they have a Philips screw head on the bolt and the nuts fit a 3/8" socket. If it sounds like these might work for you, let me know how many you require and shoot me your address in a PM and I'd be happy to send you some for free as long as you mail me back the cost of my postage when you get the bolts.

Pete

Could the nylon spacers be causing the failure? Sounds silly but maybe if there is any flexing around the bolt heads it may cause them to fail. Try using metal spacers or washers...just a thought.

Dan

Hi, you could try using the metal washers as Iride suggested and use the standard allen head screws. Make sure you get the black ones as they are case hardened. Their Tensil strength is very high.
Doc

I gotta call shenanigans on this one. The force required to "hold" the sprocket onto the hub of the Stingray is not sufficient to cause catastrophic failure of a bolt made of actual steel (read not made in China crap they slipped the U.S. back in the late 80's). If they are really breaking, try backing the pressure off the air wrench or fire the gorrilla, its just got to hold the sprocket in place, not pressure weld it on. I've built three Stingrays and no sprockets have fallen off yet.

Edward, you'd be surprized!!! The tourque is rediculus and the bolts' threads were most likely the problem.( not to undermind your mechanical genius)
Ive gone through two sets of bolts-one set sheered off all at once...the other set... broke one while riding, two while tightening to PREVENT the shearing :censored:

So I turned to you guys and now Im using 2in case hardened bolts with 3/4in non-threading near the head. So far I got 2 runs around the block.

Hope they hold!?! :???: Ill keep you updated.

If they are too hard ( grade 8 ) they may snap. Grade 5 are slightly "softer".

Let us know.

Back